Looking for effective habit quotes and sayings about dropping the habit? Then you've come to the right place! We humans are creatures of habit - and have bad but also many good habits. With some we annoy a person or destroy the world around us - with others we make people and our planet laugh. In the end, it is the good habits that are desirable and permanently eliminate injustices and problems of our coexistence.
Therefore, I would like to give you a collection of my favorite quotes about habits. Maybe one or the other positive change for you and other people will result from it. Have fun!
My please: Keep in mind that many of the quotes about habits have been translated into English from other languages. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them before you share them. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
The Best Quotes And Sayings About Habits
We humans are ourselves for today's Environmental problems of our time and also existing social challenges. Whether Climate change, the Deforestation of the rainforests or the World hunger. Our behavior is to blame - but our behavior can also be the solution to these problems. All we have to do is break out of our habits.
I hope the following sayings about the familiar, inspire you and others to do even more, live more sustainably.
Habit Quotes 1 - 10
- "Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart." (Confucius)
- "Habit: A shackle for the free." (Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce)
- "We are frightened by our own sins when we see them in others." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- "A habit cannot be tossed out the window; it must be coaxed down the stairs a step at a time." (Mark Twain)
- "Habit, custom and tradition are stronger than truth." (Voltaire)
- "The pitcher goes to the well until it breaks." (German proverb)
- "Habit is so powerful that it makes even evil a need." (Théodore Simon Jouffroy)
- "The worst dominion is that of habit." (Publilius Syrus)
- "We first make our habits, and then our habits make us." (John Dryden)
- "People would rather go down before changing their habits." (Leo Tolstoy)
Habit Quotes 11 - 20
- "Two quite opposite qualities equally bias our minds - habits and novelty." (Jean de La Bruyère)
- "Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." (Mark Twain)
- "Untruths repeatedly asserted do not become truths, but what is worse, habits." (Oliver Hassencamp)
- "Those who get used to the absurd will do well in our time."" (Eugène Ionesco)
- "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." (Aristotle)
- "While love may overcome death, it happens that a small, mean habit can overcome love." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Habit is, as it were, a second nature." (Marcus Tullius Cicero)
- "Only unusual power may strive for the unusual." (Theodor Körner)
- "Habit is more durable than love, and sometimes even overcomes contempt." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Habits make life easier because they structure it, but in return they also take away parts of flexibility, spontaneity and: Tolerance." (Wolfgang J. Reus)
Habit Quotes 21 - 30
- "We utterly eliminate bad habits like wicked men who have been doing great harm to us for a long time." (Epicurus)
- "You stay young as long as you can learn, acquire new habits, and suffer contradictions." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Habit is a horrible tyrant." (Wilhelm Heinse)
- "When you get used to nurturing the flaws in your life, they grow into giants." (German proverb)
- "Many small people, in many small places, do many small things, that can alter the face of the world." (African proverb)
- "Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits." (Mark Twain)
- "Marriage must fight constantly against a monster which devours everything: routine." (Honore de Balzac)
- "The only constant in life is change." (Heraclitus)
- "Habit is our nature." (Blaise Pascal)
- "The habits of our senses have spun us into the lies and deceit of sensation." (Friedrich Nietzsche)
Habit Quotes 31 - 40
- "The habit is a rope. We weave a thread every day, and finally we can't break it." (Thomas Mann)
- "A man who is used to acting in one way never changes; he must come to ruin when the times, in changing, no longer are in harmony with his ways." (Niccoló Machiavelli)
- "If you don't want to change anything, you will also lose what you want to preserve." (Gustav Heinemann)
- "From some habit you must leap as from a burning house." (Manfred Hinrich)
- "The methods are the habits of the spirit and the benefits of the memor." (Antoine de Rivarol)
- "Some believe they're popular, but they've just gotten used to their ways." (Upton Sinclair)
- "The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken." (Samuel Johnson)
- "Sow a thought and you reap a deed. Sow a deed and you reap a habit." (German proverb)
- "The one has pleased once the other will give pleasure if ten times repeated." (Horace)
- "Morals refine manners, as manners refine morals." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
Habit Quotes 41 - 50
- "People are far more likely to believe a lie they have heard 100 times, than a truth that is completely new to them." (Alfred Polgar)
- "Custom, then, is the great guide of human life." (David Hume)
- "Big things amaze us and small things discourage us. Habit makes both familiar." (Jean de La Bruyère)
- "Some people have such an amazing routine, that it's hard to believe They're living for the first time." (Stanislaw Jerzy Lec)
- "Good or bad, habits always deliver results." (Jack Canfield)
- "Finally you get used to pessimism like to a too-tight jacket that can't be modified." (André Gide)
- "Those who do not have bad habits probably have no personality." (William Faulkner)
- "Youth is wild, and age is tame." (William Shakespeare)
- "Most live in the ruins of their habits." (Jean Cocteau)
- "Habit is a man's sole comfort. We dislike doing without even unpleasant things to which we have become accustomed." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
Habit Quotes 51 - 60
- "You can take a lot of people's faults by ridiculing them." (Molière)
- "The most common abuse of human freedom is clinging to old habits." (Ernst Ferstl)
- "Justice is as much a matter of fashion as charm is." (Blaise Pascal)
- "Every day leads the proof that man does not get used to everything." (Theodor Fontane)
- "Man react strongly to differences between the familiar and the unfamiliar, between the known and the unknown." (Richard von Weizsäcker)
- "It's amazing what you can learn if you want to. Any habit can be changed." (Salman Rushdie)
- "The beaten path is the safest, but the traffic’s terrible." (Jeff Taylor)
- "Man is a creature of habit, which means he can get used to anything!" (Unknown)
- "Great is the power of habit. It teaches us to bear fatigue and to despise wounds and pain."" (Marcus Tullius Cicero)
- "Chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken." (Thomas von Kempen)
Habit Quotes 61 - 68
- "The chains of habit are too light to be felt until they are too heavy to be broken." (Warren Buffett)
- "Habits are the fingerprints of character." (Alfred Polgar)
- "Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going." (Jim Rohn)
- "The customs and fashions of men change like leaves on the bough, some of which go and others come." (Dante Alighieri)
- "You think of what you have left; What you were used to remains a paradise." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- "The habit of looking on the bright side of every event is worth more than a thousand pounds a year." (David Hume)
- "The purest form of insanity is to leave everything as it is and hope that something will change." (Albert Einstein)
- "Everything is habit with people, even virtue." (Pietro Metastasio)
Can you think of any other quotes about ordinary? Then always come up with your favorite sayings in the comments!
Using quotes about habits as inspiration for change!
It's clear: we love the familiar - we simply feel safe in the consistency. But we also strive for variety - for the new, for the unusual! In our habits, we sometimes behave stupidly - but we are also smart enough to break bad habits sooner or lateronce we have questioned them and learned about their consequences.
Here are some continuing articles that may spark a valuable change in your life:
- Why live vegan?
- Stop smoking
- How to stop world hunger
- Help animals in everyday life
- Zero Waste Lifestyle
I leave you with a final quote from Mahatma Gandhi: "Be yourself the change you wish to see in this world."
Do you have questions, suggestions or more effective sayings about our habits for me? Then just write me a message under this collection of quotes.
PS.: Feel free to look further in the Quotes blog around! There you will find for example also rousing Sayings about change.