Looking for inspirational Johann Wolfgang von Goethe quotes? Then you've come to the right place! Goethe is considered one of the most important creators of German-language poetry. His poetry, dramas, scientific writings and many other literary works are world-famous - and his quotes extremely inspiring.
Therefore, I would like to give you the best sayings and wisdoms of the German poet on the way.
My please: Keep in mind that many of Goethe's quotes have been translated. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them and feel free to leave a corrective comment. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
51 Wisdoms and Sayings by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Personally, I am thrilled with the Complexity of the topics he dealt with. He dealt, for example, with problems of politics, physics, anatomy, botany or mineralogy and was also very critical of society. The following quotes from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe will support this. Have fun!
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe Quotes 1 - 10
- "What is uttered from the heart alone, will win the hearts of others to your own."
- "Even the stones placed in one's path can be made into something beautiful."
- "The moment takes, what years give."
- "True happiness springs from moderation."
- "It strikes man more what he lacks than what he owns."
- "Mountains are silent masters and make silent students."
- "We are frightened by our own sins when we see them in others."
- "He who no longer loves and no longer errs, should let himself be buried."
- "If you want to get pleasure out of life, you must attach value to the world."
- "He who tortures animals is unsouled and missing God's good spirit, however noble he may look, he should never be trusted."
Tip: At Animal welfare quotes you will find a whole range of other spells in the fight against Cruelty to animals.
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe Quotes 11 - 20
- "It is ever true that he who does nothing for others, does nothing for himself."
- "Who is the happiest man? He who is alive to the merit of others, and can rejoice in their enjoyment as if it were his own."
- "I prefer the harmful truth to the useful error."
- "Collectors are happy people."
- "There is nothing more frightful than for a teacher to know only what his scholars are intended to know."
- "Only the soul that loves is happy."
- "Meditation puts us in touch with what holds the world together at its core."
- "You can't get the experience soon enough, how expendable you are in the world."
- "Our desires presage the capacities within us they are harbingers of what we shall be able to accomplish."
- "Two things children should get from their parents: Roots and wings."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe Quotes 21 - 30
- "One always has time enough, if one will apply it well."
- "Noble be man, helpful and good! For that alone sets hims apart from every other creature on earth."
- "You think of what you have left; What you were used to remains a paradise."
- "You're not traveling in order to arrive but in order to travel."
- "What a heavenly feeling it is to follow your heart."
- "Judge a man's character by what he finds ridiculous."
- "For those who are right and patient, the time will come."
- "Tolerance should really only be a passing attitude: it should lead to appreciation. To tolerate is to offend."
- "He who wants good, let him first be good."
- "There is nothing more pathetic in the world than an indecisive man."
Tip: Feel free to take a look at my post about good deeds in everyday life, to get you more concrete inspiration 🙂 .
Create a picture with your favorite quote!
You like one of the quotes the most? Then you should turn it into a unique wall poster!
It's that simple:
- Choose a quote
- Type in quote + author
- Choose color and arrangement
- Order and enjoy!
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe Quotes 31-40
- "Ingratitude is always a kind of weakness."
- "It takes a lot of courage and strength to believe in the impossible and strive towards achieving that."
- "Encouragement following on the steps of blame, like sunshine after rain, is pregnant with fruitful results."
- "What is not started today is never finished tomorrow."
- "A talent is formed in stillness, a character in the world's torrent."
- "Attention is life!"
- "You always win, learning what others think of you."
- "The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone."
- "Truth has to be repeated constantly, because Error also is being preached all the time, and not just by a few, but by the multitude."
- "Stumbling sometimes gets you forward; you just must not fall and stay down."
Tip: Fitting to the last mentioned quote I can also give you the valuable Founder Quotes as well as tips for a sustainable business creation to the heart.
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe Quotes 41-51
- "The best education for a clever person is found in travel."
- "The world judges by the appearance."
- "All is born of water; all is sustained by water."
- "Doubt grows with knowledge."
- "Behavior is a mirror in which everyone shows his image."
- "Out of moderation a pure happiness springs."
- "I am one of those who are convinced that the healthiest and most natural food remains the vegetables, fruits and dairy products for man and that the vegetarian diet ensures a simple life and high thinking."
- "A person hears only what they understand."
- "Those who learn late in life how to pretend, have the appearance of honesty ahead of them."
- "Habit is a man's sole comfort. We dislike doing without even unpleasant things to which we have become accustomed."
- "Man errs as long as he strives."
Can you think of any other sayings and wisdoms by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe that should not be missing here under any circumstances? Then feel free to write them to me in the comments!
Frequently asked questions about Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Who was Johann Wolfgang von Goethe?
Goethe is one of the most important German poets and most important representatives of the Sturm und Drang. Many of his poems and novels are now part of world literature - and many of his plays have also achieved international fame. However, Goethe was also a natural scientist and was engaged in botany, anatomy, mineralogy and physics, among other things.
What are Goethe's most famous works?
The epistolary novel "The Sorrows of Young Werther" (1774), the ballad "The Erlking" (1782), the poem "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" (1797) and the two-part tragedy "Faust" (1775-1832) are among the German poet's most famous works.
What kind of person and character was Goethe?
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe was a gifted, curious and fun-loving multi-talent. He was a poet, a natural scientist, a lawyer, a theater director and also a politician - a person who wanted to make the best of his life.
Using the Quotes from Johann Wolfgang von Goethe for Constant Inspiration
His vocabulary, works and wisdom made Goethe famous - and are still taught in German classes almost 200 years after his death. I hope that I could inspire you with his versatile quotes.
Finally I would like to give you here further articles that fit Goethe's values and could promote your personal development:
Do you have any questions or would you like to add more Goethe quotes to this collection? Then I am curious about your comment.
PS.: In the Quotes blog you'll find hundreds of other stirring sayings. For example, also take a look at the list of the best Quotes from Alexander von Humboldt.