Looking for inspirational Buddha quotes? Then you've come to the right place! The term "Buddha" means "enlightened one" and is the honorary name of Siddhartha Gautama, who founded the world religion of Buddhism. His teachings and guidelines inspire nowadays not only the Buddhist followers, but everyone.
In this article, I would like to share with you the most valuable, short Buddhist wisdom, sayings and quotes. Let's go!
My please: Keep in mind that many of the Buddha quotes have been translated. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them and feel free to leave a corrective comment. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
50 Buddha Quotes And Wisdom
Buddhism is one of the oldest world religions. Whether about Happiness, love, suffering or time - the teachings that Siddhartha Gautama shared with his followers after his "awakening" inspire millions of people today. How exactly he did it, you will learn in the book How Siddharta Gautama Became Buddha* by Thich Nhat Hanh. It offers you the ideal introduction to Buddhism.
Here I would like to give you Buddha's most important wisdom as a personal source of inspiration.
Buddha Quotes 1 - 10
- "You have two choices, to control your mind or to let your mind control you."
- "Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule."
- "The path is not heaven. The path is in your heart."
- "Sometimes, simply by sitting, the soul collects wisdom."
- "Blessed is the man who lives in peace with himself. There is no greater happiness on earth."
- "What you think you create, what you feel you attract, what you imagine you become."
- "No fire is so fierce as passion, no fetter holds so tightly as hatred, no net can compare with folly, and no tide is so raging as desire."
- "There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path."
- "Have compassion for all beings, rich and poor alike; each has their suffering. Some suffer too much, others too little."
- "Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
Tip: Buddha stands for a mindful lifestyle. In the linked article you will learn how exactly this works.
Buddha Quotes 11 - 20
- "Ceasing to do evil, Cultivating the good, Purifying the heart: This is the teaching of the Buddhas."
- "If with a pure mind a person speaks or acts, happiness follows them like a never-departing shadow."
- "All that we are is the result of what we have thought: it is founded on our thoughts and made up of our thoughts."
- "The trouble is you think you have time."
- "If you want to know who you were, then look who you are. If you want to know who you will be, then look what you do."
- "With mindfulness, strive on."
- "To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one’s family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one’s own mind."
- "Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without."
- "A man is not considered a good man because he is a good talker."
- "To keep the body in good health is a duty... otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear."
Buddha Quotes 21 - 30
- "The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed."
- "Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."
- "It's better to travel well than to arrive."
- "The mind is everything. What you think, you become."
- "Man suffers because he desires to possess and keep things which by their nature are perishable."
- "You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."
- "A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise."
- "Nothing can harm you as much as your own thoughts unguarded."
- "All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world."
- "As the bee collects nectar and departs without injuring the flower, or its color or fragrance, so let the sage dwell on earth."
Tip: Karma is considered one of the most important principles of Buddhism. It states that every action brings with it a corresponding consequence. How you ensure good karma you can find out in the linked article.
Buddha Quotes 31 - 40
- "Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."
- "Thousands of candles can be lit by the light of one candle without its light dimming. Joy does not diminish when it is shared."
- "No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."
- "The greatest prayer is patience."
- "The ignorant man is an ox. He grows in size, not in wisdom."
- "One is not called noble who harms living beings. By not harming living beings one is called noble."
- "Radiate boundless love towards the entire world."
- "Irrigators channel waters; fletchers straighten arrows; carpenters bend wood; the wise master themselves."
- "It is better to defeat yourself than to win a thousand battles."
- "The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows."
Tip: Are you looking for challenges in the world that you can master? Then check out the biggest environmental problems of our time an.
Create a picture with your favorite quote!
You like one of the quotes the most? Then you should turn it into a unique wall poster!
It's that simple:
- Choose a quote
- Type in quote + author
- Choose color and arrangement
- Order and enjoy!
Buddha Quotes 41 - 50
- "Learn this from water: loud splashes the brook but the oceans depth are calm."
- "How can I smile when I am filled with so much sorrow? It is natural - you must smile to your sorrow, for you are more than your sorrow."
- "What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: our life is the creation of our own mind."
- "Rule your mind or it will rule you."
- "The secret of happiness lies in the mind's release from worldly ties." (Quote from Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama)
- "Meditation brings wisdom; lack of meditation leaves ignorance."
- "If something is worth doing, do it wholeheartedly."
- "A moment can change a day, a day can change a life, and a life can change the world."
- "Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most."
- "A disciplined mind brings happiness."
- "If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good."
Can you think of any other Buddhist wisdom that should not be missing here under any circumstances? Then I look forward to your suggestions in the comments!
Frequently asked questions about Buddha
Who is Buddha?
A Buddha in Buddhism is a person who has experienced enlightenment (Bodhi). According to Buddhist belief, any person can become a Buddha. However, the historical Buddha is Siddhartha Gautama - he is considered the founder of Buddhist teachings. That is why he is known today by the honorary name of Buddha.
What is Buddhism?
Buddhism is a religion, but not a religion of faith. Rather, it is an experiential religion and doctrine that aims to develop one's own mind in order to attain enlightenment.
It is based, among other things, on the principle of karma, according to which every action, every thought and every speech also has an effect. The most famous Buddhist in the world is the Dalai Lama, the spiritual leader of the Tibetans.
How do Buddhists live?
Buddhists follow the path of the Buddha and follow his teachings. As a rule, they live abstemiously and are content with few things - and refer to the so-called five silas, the basic rules of virtue and morality of Buddhist ethics.
These pretend, among other things, not to kill or harm any living being, not to lie or speak unwholesomely, and not to cloud one's consciousness with intoxicating substances.
Use Buddha quotes and wisdom as a constant source of inspiration!
Buddhism is all about achieving perfection of one's own mind through one's own efforts and realizing the full potential of oneself. I hope that I could inspire you further with the Buddha quotes.
Maybe you feel like doing a keep such a mindfulness diary* and make your everyday life more positive. Record your thoughts in it and take a few minutes every day to do so. You will quickly notice the positive influence this measure will have on your Gratitude, your Self-reflection, your Self-love and your Optimism will have.
Finally I would like to give you here further articles that fit the Buddhist teachings and can promote your personal development:
- Vegan for human rights
- Why change is so difficult for us
- Good deeds in everyday life
- When does a job make you happy?
Do you have any questions or can you think of any other stirring Buddha quotes? Then I'm looking forward to your comment!
PS: Buddha inspires us to live more mindfully and consciously. I have also given you another Saying Collection With Mindfulness Quotes compiled. Feel free to take a look there as well!
great collection of quotes from Buddha, really very thoughtful and great choice!
Thanks for this, greetings 🙂