Looking for inspirational quotes about happiness and contentment? Then you've come to the right place! When we are unhappy, everything else is beside the point. But the feeling of happiness can be regained if we face the appropriate challenge. After all, we are the architect of our own happiness. In addition, we can also make other people happier and more content by giving them a helping hand.
Here I would like to give you now the best happiness quotes and sayings about contentment, unhappiness and balance.
My please: Keep in mind that many of the quotes about happiness have been translated into English from other languages. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them and feel free to leave a corrective comment. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
71 Quotes About Happiness And Contentment
You may be wondering right now why I'm in a Sustainability blog with a happy life. Well, on the one hand, we all strive for happiness in the long term. Only everyone defines this goal differently. One hopes to find happiness through a new sports car, the other in a minimalist lifestyle and less consumption.
Personally, I believe that people who see happiness in the simple things are much easier to be satisfied and thus the more easily live sustainably can. That's why I would like to introduce you to my favorite quotes on the subject of happiness and contentment. Let's go!
Happiness Quotes 1 - 10
- "Happiness is the only thing that doubles when you share it." (Albert Schweitzer)
- "If you're happy, you shouldn't want to be even happier." (Theodor Fontane)
- "On a racy ride for happiness, it stays behind." (Manfred Hinrich)
- "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." (Epicurus of Samos)
- "A happy life is one which is in accordance with its own nature." (Seneca)
- "They must often change, who would be constant in happiness or wisdom." (Confucius)
- "Before we set our hearts too much upon anything, let us examine how happy they are, who already possess it." (François de La Rochefoucauld)
- "It is difficult to find happiness within oneself, but it is impossible to find it anywhere else." (Nicolas Chamfort)
- "True happiness is doing good." (Socrates)
- "Who is not satisfied with what he has, would not be satisfied with what he would like to have." (Berthold Auerbach)
Tip: Does consumption make you unhappy? Dina has addressed this question in the linked article. Feel free to have a look!
Create a picture with your favorite quote!
You like one of the quotes the most? Then you should turn it into a unique wall poster!
It's that simple:
- Choose a quote
- Type in quote + author
- Choose color and arrangement
- Order and enjoy!
Happiness Quotes 11 - 20
- "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." (Marcus Tullius Cicero)
- "Happiness belongs to those who are sufficient unto themselves. For all external sources of happiness and pleasure are, by their very nature, highly uncertain, precarious, ephemeral and subject to chance." (Arthur Schopenhauer)
- "There is no path to happiness: happiness is the path." (Buddha)
- "Out of moderation a pure happiness springs." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- "Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of discontent." (Søren Kierkegaard)
- "If you want to live in peace with yourself, you have to accept yourself as you are." (Selma Lagerlöf)
- "The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts: therefore, guard accordingly, and take care that you entertain no notions unsuitable to virtue and reasonable nature." (Marcus Aurelius)
- "A whole misfortune does not upset us as much as a fortune that became true only halfway." (Karl Ferdinand Gutzkow)
- "Pay attention to the small things in the world, that makes life richer and more satisfying." (Carl Hilty)
- "I have never seen the Philosopher’s Stone that turns lead into Gold, but I have known the pursuit of it turn a Man’s Gold into Lead." (Benjamin Franklin)
Happiness Quotes 21 - 30
- "Contentment is a quiet garden in which to rest." (Ernst Ferstl)
- "For a heart full of joy looks upon all things cheerfully; a heart full of trouble looks upon all things gloomily." (Martin Luther)
- "You make a living by what you get. You make a life by what you give." (Winston Churchill)
- "Nobody is perfect: Happiness is to know your limits and be happy with them." (Romain Rolland)
- "The secret of happiness is not in possession, but in giving. Who makes others happy, is happy." (André Gide)
- "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the whole aim and end of human existence." (Aristotle)
- "You only become rich through the things you don't desire." (Mahatma Gandhi)
- "Those who are worth something, experiences and misfortunes make them better." (Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi)
- "It is not the man who has little, but he who desires more, that is poor." (Seneca)
- "The greatest happiness and the highest unhappiness are only small deviations from the ordinary." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
HAPPINESS Quotes 31 - 40
- "The discontented man finds no easy chair." (Benjamin Franklin)
- "We seldom think of what we have, but always of what we lack." (Arthur Schopenhauer)
- "Who is happy? This is a person, who has a healthy body, is dowered with peace of mind and cultivates his talents. " (Thales of Miletus)
- "Folks are usually about as happy as they make their minds up to be." (Abraham Lincoln)
- "Let yourself live as you are without playing tricks on yourself, i.e., without trying to force yourself to love things that you cannot love." (Karoline von Günderrode)
- "To the insatiable in any enjoyment, even happiness becomes abundance." (Ludwig Bechstein)
- "Remember, no human condition is ever permanent. Then you will not be overjoyed in good fortune nor too scornful in misfortune." (Socrates)
- "Basically, any misfortune is just as hard as you take it." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul." (Democritus)
- "Happiness is the only thing we can give to others without having it ourselves." (Carmen Sylva)
HAPPINESS Quotes 41 - 50
- "I have a simple taste, only the best." (Oscar Wilde)
- "Happiness comes towards those which believe in him." (Ali ibn Abu-Talib)
- "Courage is at the beginning of an action, happiness at the end." (Democritus)
- "Friendship improves happiness and abates misery, by the doubling of our joy and the dividing of our grief." (Charles-Louis de Montesquieu)
- "Friendship improves happiness, and abates misery, by doubling our joys, and dividing our grief." (Marcus Tullius Cicero)
- "True happiness springs from moderation." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- "That other people aren't lucky we find very natural, that we aren't lucky ourselves, always inconceivable." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "One true friend adds more to our happiness than a thousand enemies add to our unhappiness." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Happiness is love, nothing else. A man who is capable of love is happy." (Hermann Hesse)
- "The lower animals, like man, manifestly feel pleasure and pain, happiness and misery." (Charles Darwin)
Tip: More Animal welfare quotes can be found in the linked collection of sayings.
HAPPINESS Quotes 51 - 60
- "The true art of living consists in seeing the miraculous in the everyday." (Pearl S. Buck)
- "Happiness consists more in the small conveniences of pleasures that occur every day, than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom to a man in the course of his life." (Benjamin Franklin)
- "Finding people who feel and empathize for us is probably the most beautiful happiness on earth." (Carl Spitteler)
- "Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory. A man can be destroyed but not defeated." (Ernest Hemingway)
- "You're mostly unhappy just by thinking about it." (Joseph Joubert)
- "The highest form of bliss is living with a certain degree of folly." (Erasmus of Rotterdam)
- "Many people know that they are unhappy. But more people don't know that they're happy." (Albert Schweitzer)
- "Nine-tenths of our happiness depends on our health alone." (Arthur Schopenhauer)
- "After crosses and losses men grow humbler and wiser." (Benjamin Franklin)
- "Happiness often comes from attention to small things, misfortune often from neglecting little things." (Wilhelm Busch)
Happiness Quotes 61 - 71
- "You rarely know what luck is, but you usually know what luck was." (Francoise Sagan)
- "Happiness is not a gift from the gods, but the fruit of inner attitude." (Erich Fromm)
- "Pleasure can be supported by an illusion; but happiness rests upon truth." (Nicolas Chamfort)
- "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." (W. C. Fields)
- "Education can make you very happy and calm." (Günther Jauch)
- "The true masters of the art of living are already happy..." (Jean Anouilh)
- "How our heart swells when just a breath of happiness blows through it." (Torquato Tasso)
- "I am especially happy when happiness is imperfect. Perfection has no character." (Peter Ustinov)
- "Why should we build our happiness on the opinons of others, when we can find it in our own hearts?" (Jean-Jacques Rousseau)
- "To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Many people lose the small joys in the hope for the big happiness." (Pearl S. Buck)
Can you think of any other sayings about living a happy and content life that I should definitely make an inspirational collection about? Then always come up with your ideas in the comments!
Frequently asked questions about happiness
What is happiness?
Happiness is a very positive, subjective Feelingthat fills people with lasting joy and contentment. It is a wonderful state of mind that basically all people strive for.
What triggers feelings of happiness?
Feelings of happiness arise when something wonderful happens to us or we get to enjoy something we've always wanted. As a result, happiness hormones such as the well-known dopamine are released in the brain, which controls our drive and interest - and in turn leads to us being more motivated to regularly enjoy these feelings of happiness.
How do you recognize happy people?
Happy people are in a good mood and satisfied with their lives - and do something about it. They are also happy about little things, are helpful, balanced, active, optimistic, emotionally stable, do not compare themselves with others, are full of joie de vivre and regard every day as a precious gift.
Use sayings about happiness and satisfaction in ALltag
Now you have a whole palette of inspiring quotes at your fingertips. Use them to hone your own definition of happiness. Maybe you're already happy while you're striving for something that will make you feel even happier. Just get inspired by the sayings and help other people to their happiness as well. Because satisfied people devote themselves to solving new problems. For example, the solution of the biggest environmental problems of our time.
Finally, I give you some further articles that could make you and other people and living beings even happier:
Do you have any questions or suggestions - or can you think of any other sayings about happiness? As always, feel free to leave me a comment.
Stay happy and content,
PS: Happiness and joie de vivre are directly related. Look you therefore also gladly still my dearest Joy of Life Quotes to be inspired further. Have fun!