Looking for valuable critique quotes for inspiration? Anyone who wants to do good always encounters headwinds. That is quite normal. After all, some people earn their money doing it, Doing things that are no longer up to date. We humans are simply creatures of habit - Change is difficult for us. But of course you are not criticized exclusively because of economic interests, greed or envy. Criticism can also be constructive and thus a real opportunity for you. Whether in private or in your own company.
So here I have put together a collection of the best sayings about accepting, tolerating and using criticism. Let's go!
My please: Keep in mind that many of the quotes about criticism have been translated into English from other languages. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them before you share them. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
The best sayings about criticism
Positive change in our society always happens in three steps. First they mock you, then they fight you, and then they accept you. But just because we Do good want, we are of course not perfect. There is always potential for optimization. And if someone else draws our attention to this through their criticism, then that is also something good.
The following sayings about criticism underscore why I love being constructively criticized today.
Criticism Quotes #1 - 10
- "Self-criticism is the best criticism; but criticism by others is a necessity." (Karl Popper)
- "To show resentment at a reproach is to acknowledge that one may have deserved it." (Publius Cornelius Tacitus)
- "Do what you feel in your heart to be right – for you’ll be criticized anyway." (Eleanor Roosevelt)
- "If you marry yourself to art, you get criticism for a mother-in-law." (Hildegard Knef)
- "You always win, learning what others think of you." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- "He who resents criticism has something to hide." (Helmut Schmidt)
- "We must always distinguish between two types of criticism: the benevolent, uplifting, tactful, and the harsh, caustic, spiteful." (Norman Vincent Peale)
- "I would call criticism a creation within a creation." (Oscar Wilde)
- "As the will and ability to criticize oneself rises, so does the level of criticism of others." (Christian Morgenstern)
- "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill)
Criticism Quotes #11 - 20
- "Criticism: before saying your concerns, concern what you are saying." (Gerhard Uhlenbruck)
- "Our age is the age of criticism, to which everything must be subjected." (Immanuel Kant)
- "Don't criticize; what you can't understand."" (Bob Dylan)
- "There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing." (Aristotle)
- "There are people who always feel attacked when someone expresses an opinion." (Christian Morgenstern)
- "Before you shake your head, make sure you have one." (Hans Kasper)
- "The level of criticism also speaks about the level of the critic." (Christa Schyboll)
- "If you are criticized, you’re doing it right. Because people attack anyone who has brains." (Sigmund Freud)
- "If you're criticized, you must be doing something right. Because you only attack the person who has the ball." (Bruce Lee)
- "Criticism is not poison, but medicine, even if it tastes bitter." (Proverb)
Criticism Quotes #21 - 30
- "If you wish to test the humility of the humble, do not inquire whether he spurns applause, but whether he endures rebuke." (Franz Grillparzer)
- "Criticism always runs the risk of degenerating into a formless negativism." (Rudolf Augstein)
- "Better to be criticized by the right than praised by the wrong." (Gerhard Kocher)
- "People ask for criticism, but they just want to be praised." (William Somerset Maugham)
- "The critic has to educate the public; the artist has to educate the critic." (Oscar Wilde)
- "Animals are the best friends. They do not ask questions and do not criticize you." (Mark Twain)
- "Don't judge your friend until you reach his place." (Talmud)
- "The critic is always right, infallible as the woodpecker. The oak defies the strongest storm, the woodpecker discovers the worm." (Richard Dehmel)
- "Don't blame anything human! Everything is good, just not everywhere, just not always, just not for everyone." (Novalis)
- "Even sleep is a form of critique, especially at the theatre." (George Bernard Shaw)
Criticism Quotes #31 - 39
- "Criticizing others has never spared anyone the own performance." (Noël Coward)
- "Criticism is above all a gift, an intuition, a matter of tact and flair; it cannot be taught or demonstrated - it is an art." (Henri-Frédéric Amiel)
- "A critic is a hen that clucks when others lay." (Giovanni Guareschi)
- "Criticism is the art of praise. Only there does the critical master show himself. Censure, where it is brought forward with the desire to censure, makes a cheap noise and remains effectless in the end." (Friedrich Luft)
- "Accept both compliments and criticism. It takes both sun and rain for a flower to grow." (Unknown)
- "It is easy to criticize an author, but difficult to appreciate him." (Luc de Clapiers Vauvenargues)
- "A clever head has a hard time - he always drags his critic with him." (Silvana E. Schneider)
- "He who flatters me is my enemy, who blames me is my teacher." (Proverb)
- "Encouragement following on the steps of blame, like sunshine after rain, is pregnant with fruitful results." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
Tip: Please also have a look at the Quotes blog. There you will find for example the Most Effective Environmental Protection Quotes.
Use criticism quotes and see assessments as an opportunity
When others give you their objective opinion, it is worth something. Either it confirms your plan or it gives you the chance to question it and make adjustments. But it is always appropriate to be cautious: because not all criticism is honest. Many a mouth is left with envy, greed or frustration words that are not meant as they sound.
I sincerely hope that these criticism quotes help you to better deal with the judgment of others and make it work for you. Do you have questions or more sayings about criticism? Then just write me a short comment.
PS.: Maybe you see personal criticism now with different eyes. With my Best Motivation Quotes Collection you can now draw even more strength and hope for the future.