Looking for inspirational Arthur Schopenhauer quotes? Then you've come to the right place! Arthur Schopenhauer was one of the most important representatives of subjective idealism, metaphysical voluntarism and the ethics of compassion. His wisdom can therefore also be very well connected with the topics of environmental protection, animal welfare and sustainability.
In this collection of sayings I would like to list the most important quotes of the German philosopher.
My please: Keep in mind that many of Schopenhauer's quotes have been translated. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them and feel free to leave a corrective comment. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
30 Arthur Schopenhauer Quotes And Wisdoms
Arthur Schopenhauer developed a comprehensive doctrine based on the work of Immanuel Kant. Because of his fundamentally pessimistic worldview he is often referred to as a misanthrope. The quotes I'm going to share with you now are therefore refreshingly direct and squiggly. Enjoy!
Arthur Schopenhauer Quotes 1 - 10
- "Health is not everything, but without health, everything is nothing."
- "Forgive and forget means to throw out the window is made of precious experiences."
- "Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
- "Revoke a wrong view requires more character than to defend it."
- "Mostly it is loss which teaches us about the worth of things."
- "We seldom think of what we have, but always of what we lack."
- "Your friends call themselves sincere. The enemies are."
- "To feel envy is human, to savour malicious joy is devilish."
- "Ordinary people merely think how they shall «spend» their time; a man of talent tries to «use» it."
- "The world is not an inferior product, and animals are not a fabrication for our use."
Tip: About Cruelty to animals and Factory farming I have written you in each case a detailed, separate contribution. Look gladly times purely, in order to make you a clear picture of it, how brutally we humans deal with (certain) animals.
Arthur Schopenhauer Quotes 11 - 20
- "Any foolish boy can stamp on a beetle, but all the professors in the world cannot make a beetle."
- "Man is basically a wild, horrible animal. We just know it in the state of harnessing and taming."
- "You may take it as a general rule that you will not lose a friend by refusing him a loan, but that you are very likely to do so by granting it."
- "Happiness belongs to those who are sufficient unto themselves. For all external sources of happiness and pleasure are, by their very nature, highly uncertain, precarious, ephemeral and subject to chance."
- "Fate shuffles the cards and we play."
- "Men are the devils of the earth, and the animals are the tormented souls."
- "No one can get out of their individuality."
- "For what a man is in himself, what accompanies him when he is alone, what no one can give or take away, is obviously more essential to him than everything he has in the way of possessions, or even what he may be in the eyes of the world."
- "In Germany, the highest form of recognition is envy.“
- "With people of only moderate ability modesty is mere honesty; but with those who possess great talent it is hypocrisy."
Arthur Schopenhauer Quotes 21 - 30
- "Natural mind can replace almost any degree of education, but no education can replace natural mind."
- "A man can be himself only so long as he is alone; and if he does not love solitude, he will not love freedom; for it is only when he is alone that he is really free."
- "Faith and knowledge are related as the two scales of a balance; when the one goes up, the other goes down."
- "You can never say about a walker, that he is making detours."
- "In the absence of huge suffering, the smallest inconveniences torture us."
- "Nine-tenths of our happiness depends on our health alone."
- "Since there is more pain than pleasure on earth, every satisfaction is only transitory, creating new desires and new distresses, and the agony of the devoured animal is always far greater than the pleasure of the devourer."
- "Boundless compassion for all living beings is the surest and most certain guarantee of pure moral conduct, and needs no casuistry. Whoever is filled with it will assuredly injure no one, do harm to no one, encroach on no man's rights; he will rather have regard for every one, forgive every one, help every one as far as he can, and all his actions will bear the stamp of justice and loving-kindness."
- "Hatred comes from the heart; contempt from the head; and neither feeling is quite within our control."
- "We are not just responsible for what we do, but also for what we accept without any contradiction."
Can you think of any other words of wisdom by Arthur Schopenhauer that you haven't found listed here yet? Then just write me your suggestions in the comments.
Get inspired by these Arthur Schopenhauer quotes
The philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer may be thought to have misanthropic traits. But the expressed Criticism of our society is, in my opinion, particularly in view of today's social and ecological problems of our time, absolutely justified.
I hope that I could inspire you with his wisdom. Finally, I like to give you here further articles The following pages provide you with information and ideas that are in line with Schopenhauer's values and that can drive your personal development:
Maybe there are some questions burning on your mind right now. But maybe you can think of some more quotes by Schopenhauer. Either way, I look forward to your comment!