Looking for inspirational sayings and quotes by Nelson Mandela? Then you've come to the right place! Nelson Mandela is considered one of the most important freedom fighters. He campaigned with all his might against racial segregation and wanted people to be able to live together peacefully, regardless of the color of their skin. However, the government considered his commitment "sabotage & terror" and imprisoned him for 27 years. When public pressure became too strong, they released him. Only a few years later, he was elected the first black head of state of South Africa.
Through its Resistance to apartheid he is also the decisive pioneer for an equality-oriented state in his country. In 1993, he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
Here I would like to compile the most important and valuable Nelson Mandela quotes and wisdom for you. Feel free to use them to inspire yourself and also others for a peaceful coexistence of our society. Have fun!
My please: Keep in mind that many of Mandela's quotes have been translated. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them and feel free to leave a corrective comment. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
31 Inspirational Quotes From Nelson Mandela
His activities and indomitable will make Nelson Mandela to a political and moral role model. As promised, below you will find the most important sayings of the freedom fighter.
Nelson Mandela Quotes 1 - 10
- "The key to success is not where you start, but how high you aim."
- "I never lose. I either win or I learn."
- "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."
- "It is in the nature of things that you have to learn from beautiful and unpleasant experiences in order to reach maturity."
- "Keeping yourself small does not serve the world."
- "What matters in life is not that we have lived. It's how we've changed the lives of others."
- "As long as poverty, injustice and gross inequality exist in our world, none of us can truly rest."
- "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
- "A winner is a dreamer who never gives up."
- “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.”
Tip: If you are interested in Change Quotes I have put together a separate collection of sayings for you.
Nelson Mandela Quotes 11 - 20
- "Poverty linked to lack of education. We must ensure that education reaches everyone."
- "Difficulties break some men but make others."
- "Seriously caring about others, both in our private and public lives, would bring us much closer to the world we so long for."
- "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."
- "It always seems impossible until it's done."
- "Everyone can rise above their circumstances and achieve success if they are dedicated to and passionate about what they do."
- "As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
- "To be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others."
- "A good head and good heart are always a formidable combination."
- "Racism must be resisted with all the means available to humanity."
Nelson Mandela Quotes 21 - 31
- "It's not the bullets and generals that make history, it's the masses."
- “If you want to make peace with your enemy, you have to work with your enemy. Then he becomes your partner."
- "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."
- "As I walked out the door toward the gate that would lead to my freedom, I knew if I didn't leave my bitterness and hatred behind, I'd still be in prison."
- “When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw.”
- "I detest racialism, because I regard it as a barbaric thing, whether it comes from a black man or a white man."
- "Do not judge me by my successes, judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again."
- "Liberation from oppression is a human right and the highest goal of every free man."
- "There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.”
- "After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb."
- "Sometimes it falls upon a generation to be great, you can be that generation."
Can you think of any other Nelson Mandela quotes that I should definitely include here? Then feel free to write me your suggestions in the comments.
Use the best sayings of Nelson Mandela as a source of personal inspiration!
The South African activist and politician Nelson Mandela laid the foundation for a peaceful coexistence of all people through his commitment against oppression and social injustice. I hope that you feel inspired by his sayings listed here and carry their meaning out into the world.
Here are some final further articlesThe following pages provide an overview of the various activities that can make a valuable contribution to a more peaceful coexistence among us humans:
- Vegan living for human rights
- Environmental ethics - What is it exactly?
- Good deeds in everyday life
- All 30 human rights
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Or can you think of any other words of wisdom from Nelson Mandela? Then I look forward to your comment.
PS: I hope that the sayings of the freedom fighter have carried you away. Let you like still something in the Quotes blog inspire and look for example now the best Tolerance Quotes an. Nelson Mandela is also represented in this collection, of course. Have fun!