Looking for quotes about humanity and inspirational sayings about human action? Then you are exactly right here. When I think about how we treat our planet and other animals, I get scared. Is that still human, how we treat them in the Factory farming squeeze into tight cages? And is it still humane to poison the soil, water and air - things that make life on the planet possible in the first place? The biggest man-made Environmental problems of our time testify to the opposite.
I know that the majority of us behave humanely - but also that many people unconsciously act inhumanely. But in order for us to really make a difference in the world, everyone really needs to get back to human values. So here I provide you with a list of inspirational humanity quotes. Have fun!
My please: Keep in mind that many of the quotes about humanity have been translated into English from other languages. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them before you share them. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
Best Quotes About Humanity
Then let's not beat around the bush. Here's the list you can use, for example, to remind others of the basic values of human action.
Humanity Quotes #1-10
- "Humanity consists in never sacrificing a human being to an end." (Albert Schweitzer)
- "All progress that is not human is not progress." (Antonio Gala)
- "Politeness is the flower of humanity." (Joseph Joubert)
- "Animal protection is education to humanity." (Albert Schweitzer)
- "Humanity has no price on the stock market." (August Bebel)
- "I fear the day technology will surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots." (Albert Einstein)
- "All men have a sore spot and that's what makes them human." (Oscar Wilde)
- "Through knowledge, man comes to humanity." (Hafis)
- "Humanity is good building ground. Everything can be replanted on this soil." (Peter Hille)
- "Though I am often in the depths of misery, there is still calmness, pure harmony and music inside me." (Vincent van Gogh)
Humanity Quotes #11-20
- "The highest form of intelligence is the ability to observe without evaluating." (Jiddu Krishnamurti)
- "A man often feels transformed as soon as he is treated humanely." (Eugen Roth)
- "A mother is the only person in the world who loves you before knowing you." (Johann Heinrich Pestalozzi)
- "Values cannot be taught, only exemplified." (Viktor Frankl)
- "Good things can never arise from from lies and violence." (Mahatma Gandhi)
- "Don't we seem animalic to animals when we find them human?" (Anke Maggauer-Kirsche)
- “When a man is denied the right to live the life he believes in, he has no choice but to become an outlaw.” (Nelson Mandela)
- "Tenderness and kindness are not signs of weakness and despair, but manifestations of strength and resolution." (Khalil Gibran)
- "As well as you want to do good, you can be sure to find enemies." (Voltaire)
- "Treat your pet like you can live with reversed roles in the next life without any problems." (Pascal Lachenmeier)
Humanity Quotes #21-30
- "Good things that a man gives out into the world are never lost." (Albert Schweitzer)
- "To feel envy is human, to savour malicious joy is devilish." (Arthur Schopenhauer)
- "To have erred is human, and to admit error is the mark of a wise man." (Jerome)
- "For the world you are someone, but for someone you are the world." (Erich Fried)
- "Courage is good, but perseverance is better." (Theodor Fontane)
- "We live in an age where honesty counts as weakness and where liars are carried on hands..." (Unknown)
- "We don't have two hearts, one for animals and one for humans ; we have one heart or we don't have any." (Alphonse de Lamartine)
- "We appeal as human beings to human beings: Remember your humanity, and forget the rest." (Bertrand Russell)
- "You can't do good every day, but you can always do your best." (Karl-Heinz Karius)
- "Not wanting to judge another is often a sign of humanity." (Friedrich Nietzsche)
Humanity Quotes #31-40
- "Be the reason someone believes in the goodness of people." (Proverb)
- "Man's greatest concern is to know how he shall properly fill his place in the universe and correctly understand what he must be in order to be a man." (Immanuel Kant)
- "Think divine, act human." (Moritz von Egidy)
- "Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man." (Arthur Schopenhauer)
- "It is your human environment that makes climate." (Mark Twain)
- "Noble be man, helpful and good!" (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- "Nothing makes us more cowardly and unconscionable than the desire to be loved by everyone." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Only beautiful animals or ugly people wear fur." (Unknown)
- "The greatest people are those who are able to give hope." (Jean Jaurès)
- "Don't fear to be human, fear not to be human." (Manfred Hinrich)
Tip: I have also given you a list of Good Deeds Quotes compiled. Look gladly times purely.
Common questions about humanity
What is meant by humanity?
Humanity (or humanitarianism) by definition means thinking and acting in accordance with the dignity of the human being. The most desirable human values include, for example, mercy, tolerance, honesty, reliability, justice, helpfulness, empathy, friendship, love, peace, harmony and freedom. Mistakes are also human - but it is also human to learn from them.
When is one a good person?
A blanket definition of a good person is very difficult due to cultural, societal and social differences. If we go by the Big Five model, the values are openness, conscientiousness, extraversion, agreeableness and neuroticism.
Personally, I would call someone a good person, if he combines many, positive, human values in himself. For example, tolerance, respect, reliability, trust, openness, loyalty, compassion, solidarity, mercy, helpfulness, open-mindedness, naturalness, curiosity, understanding, joy of life and kindness.
Why humanity is so important?
Human action binds our society together. Social norms help us to live in peace and harmony with each other - and at the same time to constantly develop further. But humanity also ensures that no one falls by the wayside in this development.
Using sayings about humanity for more humane action
I hope that you could find some inspiration and motivation around the topic of humanity in this post. The quotes can be uplifting even when you have bad thoughts. Use them to strengthen the reflection on human values in our society. Because if we don't understand the climate change, the World hunger or other challenges of our time, we must act humanely and stick together. Otherwise, we will only hold each other back.
PS.: If you like, then also like to look at my post about Good deeds in everyday life inside. There you'll get a whole cornucopia of inspiration at your fingertips!