Looking for valuable arrogance quotes and the best sayings about conceit, haughtiness and arrogance? Then you are in the right place! When a person is arrogant, he or she takes a presumptuous, condescending, or arrogant attitude toward other people or opinions. Arrogant people think very highly of themselves - and little of other opinions. This disdainful treatment of others can have extremely negative consequences - especially for those who display it.
In this article I would like to give you a collection of the most inspiring sayings about arrogance, haughtiness, conceit, snootiness and pomposity. Let's go!
My please: Keep in mind that many of the quotes about arrogance have been translated into English from other languages. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them before you share them. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
The 40 Best Quotes About Arrogance, Conceit and Snootiness
It's not so bad if you catch yourself behaving arrogantly. It is more important to realize that it was arrogant, so that arrogance does not become an essential part of one's character over time. After all, if you walk through the world with your nose up in the air, you're ultimately holding yourself back. After all, you keep yourself from constant learning because you are less open to other opinions and people. Those who think too much of themselves and have "star airs" see little potential to become an even better person 😉.
Here is now the promised collection of quotes around the topic of arrogance. Have fun!
Arrogance Quotes 1 - 10
- "The highest arrogance is not to show it." (Voltaire)
- "No one is further from the truth than the one who knows all the answers." (Zhuangzi)
- "People are not always what they seem, but rarely anything better." (Gotthold Ephraim Lessing)
- "Some roosters believe that the sun rises because of them." (Theodor Fontane)
- "People who don't accomplish anything in small things like to imagine they were born for something bigger." (Karl Heinrich Waggerl)
- "Arrogance is the safest protection against proximity." (Andreas Tenzer)
- "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by the age of eighteen." (Albert Einstein)
- "Arrogance is the barrier of wisdom." (Bias of Priene)
- "A person hears only what they understand." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- "Arrogance grows best on the dunghill of ignorance." (Walter Ludin)
Tip on the side: Do you already know what cognitive dissonance is? It is a state of feeling that is perceived as unpleasant because one's own values do not match one's own actions. You can read more about it in the linked article.
Arrogance Quotes 11 - 20
- "Don’t be arrogant, because arrogance kills curiosity and passion." (Mina Bissell)
- "Arrogance needs to be explained; confidence speaks for itself." (Vitor Belfort)
- "The greatest weakness of the strongest is his arrogance." (Martin Gerhard Reisenberg)
- "Nobody knows enough, but many know too much." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "One of the best remedies for arrogance is seasickness. A person who hangs over the railing forgets his airs and graces." (Heinz Rühmann)
- "The arrogance of age must submit to be taught by youth." (Edmund Burke) (The arrogance of age must submit to be taught by youth.)
- "Ruthlessness is the brutality of arrogance." (Gerhard Uhlenbruck)
- "Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance." (Sunzi)
- "Anyone who feels too big to fulfill small tasks is too small to be entrusted with big tasks." (Jacques Tati)
- "Nothing is easier than self-deceit. For what every man wishes, that he also believes to be true." (Demosthenes)
Arrogance Quotes 21 - 30
- "Arrogance is the surest path to failure." (William Butler Yeats)
- "Judge a man's character by what he finds ridiculous." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- "Not everyone who sits on the high horse can ride." (Klaus Klages)
- "Nobody can be as amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own." (Sydney J. Harris)
- "Vanity inhales many empty spaces." (Martin Gerhard Reisenberg)
- "The only thing more dangerous than ignorance is arrogance." (Albert Einstein)
- "The world is teeming with bloated bellies." (Jean de La Fontaine)
- "A dog's cold snout is delightfully warm against the callousness of some fellow humans." (Ernst R. Hauschka)
- "To disregard what the world thinks of us is not only arrogant but utterly shameless." (Marcus Tullius Cicero)
- "Glory is a poison that must be taken in small doses." (Honore de Balzac)
Arrogance Quotes 31 - 40
- "With most achievers, success is greater than humanity." (Daphne du Maurier)
- "Close some doors today. Not because of pride, incapacity, or arrogance, but simply because they lead you nowhere."
- "Arrogance is the caricature of pride." (Ernst Freiherr von Feuchtersleben)
- "The condescension of the great is but polite contempt." (Emanuel Wertheimer)
- "Arrogance really comes from insecurity, and in the end, our feeling that we are bigger than others is really the flip side of our feeling that we are smaller than others." (Desmond Tutu)
- "Thee courage should not be confused with arrogance and rudeness, both sources and results are different." (Jean Jacques Rousseau)
- "People who talk a lot about themselves - excellent as they may be in other respects - give the impression of immaturity." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "A little friendship is worth more than the admiration of the whole world." (Otto von Bismarck)
- ""The worst kind of arrogance is arrogance from ignorance." (Jim Rohn)
- "An arrogant person considers himself perfect. This is the chief harm of arrogance. It interferes with a person’s main task in life—becoming a better person." (Leo Tolstoy)
Can you think of any other sayings about arrogant, arrogant people that should definitely not be missing from this collection of quotes? Then always come up with your ideas in the comments!
Use the quotes about stuck-upness in a positive way for yourself!
Everyone knows people who often behave or express themselves in an arrogant manner - and most of us would probably classify this as unsympathetic. But regardless of how much you value what others think of you, arrogance and haughtiness only slow down your personal development. Instead, realize once and for all that you are not the measure of all things - and that you, too, can be wrong from time to time.
I hope these quotes help you with that. Do you have any questions, tips or more quotes about arrogance? Then I look forward to your comment!
Stay open and humble,