Looking for the best wealth quotes and sayings about money, wealth and poverty? Then you've come to the right place! Our profit-oriented economy and way of life is partly responsible for the societal and ecological problems of our time. Because money rules the world - it convinces, pays and lubricates! Even if it is actually only a piece of paper.
In this article I want to give you an inspiring collection of the best short quotes and sayings about money, wealth and poverty. Let's go!
My please: Keep in mind that many of the quotes about wealth have been translated into English from other languages. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them before you share them. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
The 90 best sayings about money, wealth & poverty
Many people strive all their lives for more and more money, for the financial wealth that brings them cars, villas, boats and power. But at the latest when they have reached this level of prosperity, most people are surprised to discover that money is not everything - and that there are more important things.
Use the following wisdom and sayings about money, wealth, possessions and prosperity to help you become aware of your understanding of wealth and poverty.
Wealth Quotes #1 - 10
- "He who restraints his desires is always rich." (Voltaire)
- "A rich man is nothing but a poor man with money." (Aristotle Onassis)
- "Pay attention to the small things in the world, that makes life richer and more satisfying." (Carl Hilty)
- "You only become rich through the things you don't desire." (Mahatma Gandhi)
- "He that is of the opinion money will do everything may well be suspected of doing everything for money." (Benjamin Franklin)
- "Many roads lead to wealth, and most of them are dirty." (Peter Rosegger)
- "When the last tree is cut down, the last fish eaten and the last stream poisoned, you will realize that you cannot eat money." (Michael Ende)
- "Only when the last tree is cleared, the last river poisoned, the last fish caught, will you realize that money cannot be eaten." (The Cree)
- "The most precious things in life are not those you get for money." (Albert Einstein)
- "It is not the man who has little, but he who desires more, that is poor." (Seneca)
Tip: The minimalist lifestyle can be a valuable key to true happiness and prosperity. Learn more about it in the linked article!
Wealth Quotes #11 - 20
- "Wealth is good, when there is no guilt attached." (Jesus Sirach)
- "To have what you want is wealth, but doing it without wealth is power." (George Bernard Shaw)
- "As wealth grows, worry follows." (Horace)
- "They are rich who have true friends." (Thomas Fuller)
- "Money alone does not make you unhappy." (Peter Falk)
- "It's often perceived as unfair that people who have straw on the brain also have money like hay." (Gerhard Uhlenbruck)
- "There are people who are as stingy with their mind like others with their money." (Ludwig Börne)
- "The world has enough for everyone's needs, but not everyone's greed." (Mahatma Gandhi)
- "Wealth alone does not make happiness on earth." (Albert Lortzing)
- "Nothing makes a man more intolerable than his consciousness of having enough money for a good lawyer." (Richard Widmark)
Wealth Quotes #21 - 30
- "If a person claims that everything can be achieved with money, you may be sure that he has never had any." (Aristotle Onassis)
- "But possession brings friends. I admit that; but false ones, and it procures them not for you but for itself." (Erasmus of Rotterdam)
- "Noble men regard their intellectual as well as their material wealth as an entrusted possession." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "If you have enough money, the good reputation comes naturally." (Erich Kästner)
- "There is only one class in the community that thinks more about money than the rich, and that is the poor. The poor can think of nothing else." (Oscar Wilde)
- "If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need." (Marcus Tullius Cicero)"
- "If not to make the world better, what is money for?" (Elizabeth Taylor)
- "To have money is a glory as long as you haven't lost the joy of things that money can't buy." (Salvador Dali)
- "Standard of living is trying to afford today what you won't have enough money for even ten years from now." (Danny Kaye)
- "You can easily find people who are ten times as rich at sixty as they were at twenty but not one of them will tell you that they are ten times as happy." (George Bernard Shaw)
Wealth Quotes #31 - 40
- "It's not through inventions but through improvements that fortunes are made." (Henry Ford)
- "Money is the best bait to fish for man with." (Thomas Fuller)
- "The poor never imputes generosity as a virtue to the rich." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach
- "Money is not important. But a lot of money is something else." (George Bernard Shaw)
- "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone." (Henry David Thoreau)
- "Not what I have, but what I do is my kingdom." (Thomas Carlyle)
- "If you have no money, you always think about money. If you have money, you already think only about money." (Jean Paul Getty)
- "What the good Lord thinks about money is visible through the people to whom he gives it." (Peter Bamm)
- "Bank robbery is an initiative of amateurs. True professionals establish a bank." (Bertolt Brecht)
- "It is not the man who has little, but he who desires more, that is poor." (Lucius Annaeus Seneca)
Wealth Quotes #41 - 50
- "The real purpose of wealth is to give of it generously." (Blaise Pascal)
- "The richer one is, the easier it is for him to be a rascal." (Gilbert Keith Chesterton)
- "The proper attitude towards money is one of covetous contempt." (Henry Miller)
- "The chief value of money lies in the fact that one lives in a world in which it is overestimated." (Henry Louis Mencken)
- "A house without books is a poor house, even if beautiful rugs are covering its floors and precious wallpapers and pictures cover its walls." (Hermann Hesse)
- "A rich man's joke is always funny." (Thomas Edward Brown)
- "The meaning of life: something that nobody really knows. In any case, there is little point in being the richest man in the cemetery." (Peter Ustinov)
- "The richest people are those who can do without the most." (Rabindranath Tagore)
- "Capitalism is the perfection, of the ruthless exploitation of people, animals, the environment and nature." (Horst Bulla)
- "The most unpleasant rich people are those who don't want to see how poor they are." (Ernst R. Hauschka)
Tip: Do you want to know how to save money through sustainability can? Then take a look at the linked article.
Wealth Quotes #51 - 60
- "Contentment is natural wealth; luxury, artificial poverty." (Socrates)
- "Truly rich is he who has more dreams in his soul than reality can destroy." (Hans Kruppa)
- "Money rules the world to the end." (Claudia Brefeld)
- "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." (Abraham Lincoln)
- "Increase in luxury: own car, own villa, own opinion." (Wieslaw Brudzinski)
- "Poverty doesn't shame the people who are affected by it, poverty shames society." (Ruth Dreifuss)
- "If thou wilt make a man happy, add not unto his riches but take away from his desires." (Epicurus of Samos)
- "If you would know the value of money, go try to borrow some." (Benjamin Franklin)
- "Don't call yourself poor, if your dreams didn't come true. Only those are really poor, who have never had a dream." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Only those who live in prosperity rail against it." (Ludwig Marcuse)
Wealth Quotes #61 - 70
- "Philosophers only condemn riches because of the bad use we make of them." (François de La Rochefoucauld)
- "Money only appeals to selfishness and always tempts its owners irresistibly to abuse it." (Albert Einstein)
- "You don't get rich by what you earn. You get rich by what you don't spend." (Henry Ford)
- "Poverty is nothing to be ashamed of, there are more people who should be ashamed of their wealth." (Johann Nestroy)
- "Peace makes wealth, wealth makes devilness, devilness brings war, war brings poverty, poverty makes humility, humility makes peace again." (Johann Geiler of Kaysersberg)
- "You must not run after money, you have to meet him." (Aristotle Onassis)
- "Food comes first and then morality." (Bertolt Brecht)
- "The rich have an even lively as indescribable passion for special offers." (Francis Bacon)
- "Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty." (Mother Teresa)
- "That is the accursed thing about small surroundings they make the soul small." (Henrik Ibsen)
Tip: Look you suitably also with pleasure the best Quotes About Modesty on!
Wealth Quotes #71 - 80
- "The only people that a bank will loan money to is the very people who don't need it." (Mark Twain)
- "Prosperity is a foundation, but not a guiding principle for shaping life. Preserving it is even harder than acquiring it." (Ludwig Erhard)
- "God has not created poverty; it is we who have created it." (Mother Teresa)
- "There is no fortress so strong that money cannot take it." (Marcus Tullius Cicero)
- "Wealth doesn't corrupt character - it makes it visible." (Unknown)
- "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." (Epicurus of Samos)
- "Those swimming in money impertinently hold onto a life belt." (Ernst R. Hauschka)
- "Money is called dough these days because you can get anyone soft with it." (Gerhard Uhlenbruck)
- "A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do." (Bob Dylan)
- "To whom a little is not enough, no wealth will satisfy." (Christoph Martin Wieland)
Wealth Quotes #81 - 90
- "It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold or silver." (Mahatma Gandhi)
- "Prosperity starts right there, where people start thinking with their belly." (Norman Mailer)
- "To have and not to give is often worse than to steal." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Prosperity is the transit stage between poverty and discontent." (Helmar Nahr)
- "What does money matter? Love is more than money." (Oscar Wilde)
- "The safest wealth is the poverty of needs." (Franz Werfel)
- "Fame and wealth without wisdom are unsafe possessions." (Democritus)
- "Money rules the world. Appearances do not deceive." (Wolfgang Mocker)
- "To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Having loving people in your life is what makes the wealth of existence." (Albert Schweitzer)
Can you think of any other mistakes quotes and sayings about wealth, money and poverty? Then feel free to write your favorite quotes in the comments!
Frequently asked questions about wealth
What is meant by wealth?
Wealth cannot be defined in a universally valid way, as it is depends on the individual values of each person.
Some describe wealth as the possession of innumerable, valuable things or as a situation significantly exceeding the average prosperity of a person. Others consider themselves rich if they happy and free are in their decisions, have many friends and can regularly travel to the most beautiful places in the world.
Does money make you happy?
Possessing a lot of money can certainly increase a person's well-being and satisfaction - however, the Sense of happiness limited by financial wealth.
Material goods can be paid for with money - but some things, like health or true friends, cannot. Consumption can perhaps make people happy in the short term - but even sports cars and expensive houses eventually become a habit and no longer trigger feelings of happiness.
How can prosperity be measured?
The Gross domestic product (GDP) measures the economic performance of an economy and is considered the world's most important indicator for measuring the prosperity of a country's citizens.
Poverty & Money Quotes - Use them for inspiration!
It is always good to be able to afford something. But it is also important to invest your money preferably in things that have a real meaning. Things that make our world a little better or decisively increase your well-being.
Also a portion of gratitude can help to avoid constantly falling prey to the principle of "higher, faster, further". For example, how about spending a few minutes each day in such a diary* To write what or who you are grateful for?
I hope that with this collection of quotes I could inspire you to question and adjust your relationship to money and wealth.
In conclusion, I would now like to give you three further articles recommend that fit well with it:
- World hunger - All about the global famine
- Vegan for human rights
- Stopping world hunger - What everyone can do
Do you have any questions or other interesting quotes about wealth, money and poverty? Then just write me a comment.
Stay down to earth and humble,
PS: Feel free to look further in the Quotes blog around! There you will find for example also a collection of my Favorite Quotes About Environmental Protection And Sustainability.