Do you want to get a vegan scrambled eggs do it yourself? Perfect! Then I have the recipe for the perfect scrambled egg alternative for you! This is very simple from tofu, the sulfur salt Kala Namak, turmeric and some vegetable oil.
In this short post I would like to show how I went about this.
Why cook a vegan scrambled eggs with tofu?
Before we start cooking and enjoying, a short answer to the question: Why all this? Personally, the following reasons motivated me to cook the vegan scrambled eggs:
- Long shelf life of tofu: Tofu from the supermarket has an eternally long shelf life, while eggs can go bad after just under a week. (see Reduce food waste)
- Almost identical taste: The vegan scrambled eggs really do end up tasting so incredibly delicious and similar that I was really surprised the first time. The egg-like taste is mainly due to the sulfurous Kala Namak salt.
- Comparable to the eye as well: The turmeric powder makes the tofu yellowish and basically visually indistinguishable from the classic scrambled egg.
- No factory farming: Become a vegetarian, is already an important step! However, the egg is a vegetarian product that the Factory farming, and all the problems that come with it. (see also: Why being a vegetarian is not enough)
- No animal cruelty: In factory farming, the sensitive animals are fattened at record speed and kept in cramped cages. Added to this is the development of laying performance. In 1950, a hen still laid about 120 eggs a year - today it's already 300 eggs.₁ Whether organic or conventional egg - in the end we exploit the animals for our taste. Personally, I don't think that's right.
If you want to know, why you should basically eat veganyou can read about it in the linked article.
Ingredients for your vegan scrambled eggs
Soooo! Now you should have a little more motivation to swing the wooden spoon. The following ingredients you need to make the vegan scrambled eggs yourself:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 300 g silken tofu (alternatively natural tofu)
- 1/2 tsp Kala Namak (sulfur salt, you get here*)
- 1 TSP Turmeric
If you want, you can still pimp your scrambled egg alternative with the following ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon yeast flakes
- 1 small onion
- 4-5 small tomatoes
- 2 mushrooms
- Some parsley
Did you cook it the same way? If you have any suggestions and experiences with other ingredients / variations of vegan scrambled rice, feel free to drop me a comment.
How to cook your vegan scrambled eggs!
The video should already explain the approximate process to you well. Just put some vegetable oil and the tofu piece into the pan. Then you chop it up and fry it. Add some turmeric - and don't forget the sulfur salt Kala Namak. Be sure to add some mushrooms and tomatoes - and you're done!
Did everything work out? Do you have questions about the vegan scrambled eggs? Then just write me a comment.
₁ German Federal Ministry of Food and Agriculture (BMEL): Neue Wege für mehr Tierwohl - Ein Magazin des Bundesministeriums für Ernährung und Landwirtschaft, 1st edition, January 2016, p. 7.