You want to make your own dandelion honey? This is a really strong idea! Whether you're looking for a vegan alternative for honey, just want to try something new, want to end the exploitation of animals or want to get involved against the dying of bees - here you get the right recipe for it!
Learn now in this article, which ingredients you need and how you should proceed to make your own syrup or honey from dandelion!
Tip: Dandelion honey could also be called sustainable lifehack of our grandparents call. Because even they often made this alternative themselves, because classic honey from honey bees was much more expensive at the time.
What ingredients do I need for honey from dandelion?
Fortunately, it takes very few and especially inexpensive ingredients to make your own vegan honey from dandelion. For a liter of dandelion honey (just convert it as needed) you need basically:
- 3 handful dandelion flowers (best freshly collected)
- 1 liter water
- 1 kg sugar
- 1/2 lemon
How should I proceed in the preparation of dandelion honey?
If you want to make your own dandelion honey, now you already know the ingredients for it. Then let's go straight to the instructions for your home-made honey alternative. Don't worry: it looks like more effort than it actually is! Just proceed as follows:
- Collect dandelion flowers
- Wash the flowers and put them in a pot with the water
- Let mixture stand for 2 hours
- Put pot on the stove and bring mixture to a boil briefly
- Cool the mixture and leave to infuse overnight
- Pour the resulting tea through a sieve
- Put the liquid in a pot with the sugar
- Grate lemon peel into the pot with grater
- Cut peeled lemon in half and add the juice of half a lemon to the pot
- Put the pot on the stove and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring regularly
- Once the liquid boils, simply simmer over low heat
- Stir again and again until a firmer syrup is formed (patience required)
- In the meantime it is best to prepare the containers
- Take spoon sample (as soon as liquid thickens, the honey is ready).
- Allow mixture to cool slightly and pour into the jars. That's it!
The homemade dandelion honey now has a shelf life of forever because of the sugar content.
Too liquid? Then you should let your liquid boil a little longer. Because the longer you boil the dandelion honey, the firmer or harder it becomes.
Make vegan dandelion honey yourself made easy
A simple recipe that everyone should try once, right? Now your homemade honey from dandelion flowers should be ready and bottled. In my opinion it comes very close to the real bee honey not only visually but also in taste.
Did this tutorial help you and did everything work out? Either way, I look forward to your feedback, experiences and suggestions for improvement in the comments.
Stay animal-friendly and sustainable,
PS.: You want to know, why i live vegan? Then just look at the linked post now.