Looking for inspirational quotes by Mahatma Gandhi? Then I would like to give you a list of his most stirring sayings. At the time of Gandhi, India was still ruled by Great Britain. He fought against it resolutely but without violence - mainly through hunger strikes and long marches.
In 1947, India finally became free. Even though Mahatma Gandhi advocated the coexistence of all religions, he was assassinated by a fanatical Hindu just one year later. Nevertheless, he made a decisive contribution to the independence of his native India today.
In this small collection of quotes I would like to give you his most valuable, short sayings and inspiring wisdom. Let's go!
My please: Keep in mind that many of Gandhi's quotes have been translated. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them and feel free to leave a corrective comment. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
26 Inspirational Wisdom and Quotes from Mahatma Gandhi
Mahatma Gandhi is a political and moral example for all of us. If you want to learn more about the freedom fighter and get more inspiration for a respectful coexistence, then I can warmly recommend you the Book "Anger is a Gift: The Legacy of My Grandfather Mahatma Gandhi". by Arun Gandhi. Get it here*.
As promised, you will find here the quotes from him that inspire me personally and many other people in the world. Feel free to use them to inspire yourself and others for a peaceful coexistence in our society.
Mahatma Gandhi Quotes 1 - 10
- "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
- "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
- "If we are to reach real peace in the world, we shall have to begin with the children."
- „Strength does not grow from physical strength - rather from indomitable will."
- "Freedom is worth nothing if it does not include the right to err."
- "There is no way to peace, there is only peace."
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.„
- "Love is the strongest force the world possesses and yet it is the humblest imaginable."
- "You and I - we are one. I cannot hurt you without hurting myself."
- "The world has enough for everyone's needs, but not everyone's greed."
Tip: You know, why we humans find change so difficult? In the linked article, you'll learn the psychology behind it - and how to master any undertaking.
Mahatma Gandhi Quotes 11 - 20
- "The future depends on what you do today."
- "The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong."
- "An eye for an eye - and the whole world will be blind."
- "It is health that is real wealth and not pieces of gold or silver."
- "Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good."
- "Victory attained by violence is tantamount to a defeat for it is momentary."
- "Often what we think is best for others is distorted by our attachments to our opinions. We want others to be happy in the way we think they should be happy."
- "Where love grows, life flourishes - where hate arises, doom threatens."
- "There is more to life than increasing its speed."
- "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated."
Tip: The Veganism is the largest global movement for animal rights. In another article, I'll explain, why i personally live vegan. I am sure that you will also represent all my motives.
Mahatma Gandhi Quotes 21 - 26
- "The history teaches people that the history teaches people nothing."
- "When you are right, you have no need to be angry. When you are wrong, you have no right to be angry."„
- "I reject violence because the good it seems to bring about does not last; by contrast, the bad it brings about does last."
- "My commitment is to truth not consistency."
- "Absolute calm is not the law of ocean. And it is the same with the ocean of life."
- "The secret of a happy life lies in renunciation. Renunciation is life."
Frequently asked questions about Mahatma Gandhi
Who was Mahatma Gandhi?
Mahatma Gandhi (civil name: Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi) was a peaceful freedom fighter who fought for India's independence from the colonial power England. To this day, he is considered a global role model for the preservation of human rights and a national hero.
How did Gandhi change the world?
Mahatma Gandhi organized civil disobedience, developed nonviolent methods of struggle, and thus brought down the British Empire in his native India.
He referred to the method he used as "satyagraha" - appealing to the reason and conscience of the political opponent by showing a willingness to take on pain and suffering without violence.
Was Gandhi a pacifist?
Mahatma Gandhi was a convinced pacifist. Even though people like to call him a "champion," he was able to win his political battles without the use of violence.
In addition, Gandhi was also a vegetarian because he abhorred violence against animals and did not approve of killing sentient fellow creatures for human, physical needs.
Can you think of any other Mahatma Gandhi quotes that I should definitely include here? Then feel free to write me your suggestions in the comments!
Use the best wisdom of Mahatma Gandhi for inspiration!
To be myself the change I want to see in the world - this is certainly the quote from Gandhi that has had the most impact on me personally. I want to be part of the solution to the social and ecological problems of our time - and not be a causative part of these problems. This may not happen overnight - but it happens step by step.
Here are some final further articlesthat can also possibly take you a step further:
- Vegan living for human rights
- Sustainable living - it's that easy!
- Good deeds in everyday life
- All 30 human rights
Do you have any questions or suggestions? Or can you think of other stirring sayings by Mahatma Gandhi? Then feel free to write them to me in the comments.
PS: Look at you with pleasure still a little bit in the Quotes blog around! Take a look now, for example, at the most valuable Sayings about change. Have fun!