Looking for inspirational Albert Schweitzer quotes? Then use this collection of the best sayings & wisdom of the jungle doctor and philosopher. He is considered a pioneer of humanitarian aid and a thought leader for peace and justice in the world. He received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1952 for his work against the nuclear arms race.
In this article I would like to give you the most valuable sayings and wisdom of Albert Schweitzer.
My please: Keep in mind that many of Schweitzer's quotes have been translated. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them and feel free to leave a corrective comment. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
41 Quotes And Sayings By Albert Schweitzer
Albert Schweitzer is one of the most important thinkers of the 20th century. Especially his Commitment to peace in the world makes him a political and moral role model for past, present and future generations. Here you will now find the quotes from him that I personally find particularly effective. Let's go!
Albert Schweitzer Quotes 1 - 10
- "Happiness is the only thing that multiplies when you share it."
- "I am life that wants to live, in the midst of life that wants to live."
- "We are living in dangerous times. Men control nature before they are even able to control themselves."
- "A man is ethical only when life, as such, is sacred to him, that of plants and animals as that of his fellow men, and when he devotes himself helpfully to all life that is in need of help."
- "Animals suffer as much as we do. True humanity does not allow us to impose such sufferings on them. It is our duty to make the whole world recognize it."
- "Many people know that they are unhappy. But more people don't know that they're happy."
- "If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."
- "Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful."
- "Animal protection is education to humanity."
- "I am conscious that flesh-eating is not in accordance with the finer feelings and I abstain from it whenever I can."
Tip: If you want to know, why i live veganthen feel free to click through to the linked article. I'm pretty sure you hold similar values.
Albert Schweitzer Quotes 11 - 20
- "Everything deep is also simple and can be reproduced simply as long as its reference to the whole truth is maintained. But what matters is not what is witty but what is true."
- "The most beautiful monument a person can get is in the hearts of others."
- "We must never allow the voice of humanity within us to be silenced. It is humanity's sympathy with all creatures that first makes us truly human."
- "It is better to have high principles to follow than even higher ones to disregard."
- "Do something for somebody everyday for which you do not get paid."
- "All ideals are related to love."
- "Renunciation of thinking is a declaration of spiritual bankruptcy."
- "Wherever a man turns he can find someone who needs him."
- "Prayers aren't gonna change the world. But prayers change people and people are able to change the world."
- "Good things that a man gives out into the world are never lost."
Albert Schweitzer Quotes 21 - 30
- "Sometimes our light goes out, but is immediately set ablaze again by an encounter with another person."
- "Do something wonderful, people may imitate it."
- "In the hopes of reaching the moon men fail to see the flowers that blossom at their feet."
- "Enthusiasm is a good fuel, but unfortunately it burns up too quickly."
- "True tolerance is not possible without love."
- "Think occasionally of the suffering of which you spare yourself the sight."
- "An optimist is a person who sees a green light everywhere, while a pessimist sees only the red stoplight... the truly wise person is colorblind."
- "Where I damage any life, I must be clear about if it is necessary. I must not go beyond the inevitable in anything, even the seemingly insignificant."
- "Compassion, in which all ethics must take root, can only attain its full breadth and depth if it embraces all living creatures and does not limit itself to mankind."
- "Never shall we suffer or kill any living creature for pleasure or pastime."
Albert Schweitzer Quotes 31 - 41
- "There is so much coldness because we do not dare to be as cordial as we are."
- "Creating something new has more value than protesting."
- "If you act according to responsibility and conscience and not thoughtlessness, you are in the right."
- "The ethical cannot grow on selfish soil."
- "The only thing of importance, when we depart, will be the traces of love we have left behind."
- "Humanity consists in never sacrificing a human being to an end."
- "Witnessing the happiness around us with the good we can create ourselves is the only happiness that makes life bearable for us."
- "The animals are our brothers, big and small. Only in this knowledge do we arrive at true humanity."
- "The biggest decision in life is about changing your life through changing your mind."
- "With all that lives we are connected by consubstantiality and communion of destiny."
- "In gratitude for your good fortune, you must remember in return some sacrifice of your own life for another life."
Can you think of any other wisdom and quotes by Albert Schweitzer that should not be missing here? Then feel free to write me a comment with your suggestions.
Frequently asked questions about Albert Schweitzer
Why is Albert Schweitzer a role model?
Albert Schweitzer was a decisive pioneer of humanitarian aid and a mastermind for peace and balance in the world. He stood up for the needy peoples all over the world and made it clear that every will to live must be met with the same respect and reverence.
Why did Albert Schweitzer win the Nobel Peace Prize?
Albert Schweitzer received the Nobel Peace Prize in 1952 for his commitment to persecuted and threatened people - to peace, truth and freedom.
Where did Albert Schweitzer live?
Albert Schweitzer lived in Gunsbach, Paris and in Königsfeld in the Black Forest.
What does Albert Schweitzer mean by reverence for life?
Albert Schweitzer based each of his statements on the idea of "reverence for life". By this he meant that every will to Lifestyle with the same Awe and must be treated with the same respect and no distinction must be made between life forms.
How many children did Albert Schweitzer have?
Albert Schweitzer had a daughter. Rhena Schweitzer-Miller was born in 1919. She continued to run her father's foundation until 1970.
Use the wisdom of Albert Schweitzer as a constant source of inspiration
As you let your eye wander over Albert Schweitzer's quotes like this, it's easy to see his personal values. Mercy, courage, gratitude, openness, humanity and Mitgefühl with all creatures of this earth. The jungle doctor represented the values that we would call "human". His attitude and his commitment to peace make him an absolute role model.
Here I would like to give you finally some further articles that can also serve your personal development:
Do you have any questions or suggestions about this collection of quotes by the pacifist Albert Schweitzer? Or do you know any other words of wisdom from him? Then I am curious about your comment.
PS: There are many clichés about vegan nutrition. Feel free to secure my free E-Book "All arguments against veganism - and how you simply refute them".to eliminate prejudices from the world.