Looking for the most effective quotes about tolerance and openness? Then you are absolutely right here! To bring about positive change in our society, this human virtue is extremely important. Even though it is not innate, it can be learned at any time. But of course it also has limits.
Here I would like to provide you with an inspirational collection of quotes from the best sayings about tolerance, openness, open-mindedness and forbearance - and against intolerance and indifference.
My please: Keep in mind that many of the quotes about tolerance have been translated into English from other languages. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them before you share them. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
The Best Quotes And Sayings About Tolerance And Openness
When I realized why i should live sustainablyI really wanted to convince everyone directly and impose my lifestyle on my counterpart. But habits form resistance - and stressful discussions. Only then did I understand that sustainable life as a step-by-step process - and that I need to be more tolerant and patient with others. There is no point in getting upset. But about the biggest social and ecological problems of our time, we still need to talk to each other to create positive change. It is important to understand that such processes do not happen overnight.
Now, as promised, here are my favorite quotes about being open and tolerant of others.
Tolerance Quotes 1 - 10
- "True tolerance is not possible without love." (Albert Schweitzer)
- "Tolerance is not limitless. It finds its limit, perhaps its only limit, in the possible intolerance of the other." (Helmut Schmidt)
- "You have to take people as they are because there are no others." (Konrad Adenauer)
- "Tolerance is educated, not innated." (Umberto Eco)
- "Openness is a key that can open many doors." (Ernst Ferstl)
- "Tolerance is the suspicion that the other person is right." (Kurt Tucholsky)
- "No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite." (Nelson Mandela)
- "To be gentle, tolerant, wise and reasonable requires a goodly portion of toughness." (Peter Ustinov)
- "Without tolerance, we cannot develop compassion." (Dalai Lama)
- "Let us not fall into the mistake to doubt either the sanity or the good will of every dissenter." (Otto von Bismarck)
Tolerance Quotes 11 - 20
- "Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant!" (Wilhelm Busch)
- "The most forbearance is given to the one who needs the least." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Tolerance should really only be a passing attitude: it should lead to appreciation. To tolerate is to offend." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- „Three things are important in life: First, tolerance. Second, tolerance. And third, tolerance." (Henry James)
- "Tolerance is the uncomfortable feeling that in the end the other could be right." (Robert Frost)
- "Tolerance is not merely toleration of the other's opinion, but humility. I concede to the other the possibility of truth because I concede to myself the possibility of error." (Anton Neuhäusler)
- "Tolerance is always a sign that a dominion considers itself secure." (Max Frisch)
- "We value people who speak tell an opinion fresh and open - provided they mean the same thing we do." (Mark Twain)
- "You have to live with your enemies because you can't have everyone as a friend." (Alexis Clérel de Tocqueville)
- "There are people who always feel attacked when someone expresses an opinion." (Christian Morgenstern)
Tip: At Respect Quotes you will find more inspiring sayings that also fit the theme of tolerance.
Tolerance Quotes 21 - 30
- "Never try to make someone like yourself. You should know that one of your kind is enough." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- "The great fighter of intolerance is not humanity, but science." (Henry Thomas Buckle)
- "Tolerance is, above all, the realization that there is no sense in getting upset." (Ambrose Gwinnett Bierce)
- "Some think they have become liberal just because they have changed the direction of their intolerance." (Wieslaw Brudzinski)
- "Indifference is the mildest form of intolerance." (Karl Jaspers)
- "Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions." (Gilbert Keith Chesterton)
- "You can stand on your position, but you shouldn't sit on it." (Erich Kästner)
- "We are no more intolerant of any faults in others than those which are the caricature of our own." (Franz Grillparzer)
- "He who steps out into the public has no leniency to expect and none to demand." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Non-cooperation with evil is as much a duty as is cooperation with good." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Tolerance Quotes 31 - 40
- "Intelligence is the ability to accept one's surroundings." (William Faulkner)
- "The older you get, the more tolerant you become of the heart and the more intolerant of the head." (Jean Paul)
- "Tolerance should never be pushed so far that the intolerant could benefit from it." (Erich Limpach)
- "The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." (Benjamin Franklin)
- "Openness always deserves recognition." (Otto Prince of Bismarck)
- "Ignoring is still far from tolerance." (Theodor Fontane)
- "Tolerance is extremely easy when we expect it from others." (Walter Ludin)
- "If you expect great things of yourself and demand little of others, you'll keep resentment far away." (Confucius)
- "We should therefore claim, in the name of tolerance, the right not to tolerate the intolerant." (Karl Popper)
- "Generosity is not always in the right, but stinginess always in the wrong place." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
Tip: Do you already know All 30 human rights from the Universal Declaration of Paris? Feel free to check them out in the linked post!
Tolerance Quotes 41 - 50
- "Magnanimity always finds admirers, rarely imitators, for it is a too costly virtue." (Johann Nestroy)
- "The one thing more difficult than following a regimen is not imposing it on others." (Marcel Proust)
- "To be tolerant, you have to set the boundaries of what is intolerable." (Umberto Eco)
- "Tolerance means excusing the mistakes of others. Tact means not noticing them." (Arthur Schnitzler)
- "Indolence and stupidity are first cousins." (Antoine de Rivarol)
- "Tolerance. Coming to the thought: Although I believe I am right, and that there is truth, I will not force it on you." (Albert Memmi)
- "Tolerance that comes from freedom is a child of heaven and of the most beautiful one, but the tolerance that is nothing but paraphrase of the sentence «everything doesn't matter at all», the devil may get it." (Theodor Fontane)
- "Bear with fools is certainly the peak of tolerance." (Voltaire)
- "Tolerance and friendship is often everything, and by far the most important thing we can give each other." (Novalis)
- "Tolerance is the charity of intelligence." (Jules Lemaitre)
Can you think of any other quotes about tolerance and openness? Then always come up with your favorite sayings in the comments!
Using Quotes About Tolerance For Your Personal Development
Tolerance is the key to living together more peacefully in our society. After all, it only works if we ourselves have a high degree of tolerance toward other ways of life and respect them. Nevertheless, tolerance must also have its limits. Namely, when we start to get used to immoral, unjust or harmful behavior and indifference spreads.
Here are further articles for you that can make your actions in everyday life even more tolerant:
I hope I could inspire you with this list of the best quotes about openness and tolerance. Do you have any questions or can you think of any other sayings? Then feel free to write me a comment.