Looking for inspirational Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes? Then you have found what you are looking for! With his lectures, writings and poems, Emerson contributed significantly to the cultural change in the USA and is therefore also considered one of the most important American philosophers.
In this article, I would now like to share with you his most valuable wisdom and quotes.
My please: Keep in mind that many of Emerson's quotes have been translated. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them and feel free to leave a corrective comment. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
40 Quotes And Wisdom From Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ralph Waldo Emerson was a declared opponent of slavery. This also makes him a political and moral role model for all generations. Just let yourself be inspired by his sayings here.
Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes 1 - 10
- "No facts are to me sacred; none are profane; I simply experiment, an endless seeker with no past at my back."
- "Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience."
- "What is a weed? A plant whose virtues have never been discovered."
- "The only way to have a friend is to be one."
- "Society is a wave. The wave moves onward, but the water of which it is composed does not."
- "The years teach much the days never know."
- "Never try to make anyone like you: you know, and God knows, that one of you is enough."
- "A hero is a man who is afraid to run away."
- "Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself."
- "Character is built on the debris of our despair."
Tip: More Quotes About Strength Of Character can be found in the linked, separate collection of sayings.
Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes 11 - 20
- "The secret of education lies in respecting the pupil."
- "A great part of courage is the courage of having done the thing before."
- "Misunderstood! It is a right fool's word. Is it so bad then to be misunderstood? Pythagoras was misunderstood, and Socrates, and Jesus, and Luther, and Copernicus, and Galileo, and Newton, and every pure and wise spirit that ever took flesh. To be great is to be misunderstood."
- "The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and the heart of the child."
- "Your genuine action will explain itself, and will explain your other genuine actions. Your conformity explains nothing."
- "Good manners are made up of petty sacrifices."
- "Self sacrifice is the real miracle out of which all the reported miracles grow."
- "If we encounter a man of rare intellect, we should ask him what books he reads."
- "What lies behind us, and what lies before us are but tiny matters compared to what lies within us."
- "Every revolution was first a thought in one man's mind."
Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes 21 - 30
- "What I need is someone who will make me do what I can."
- "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen."
- "To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded."
- "Always do what you are afraid to do."
- "Shallow men believe in luck or in circumstance. Strong men believe in cause and effect."
- "For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness."
- "The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions."
- "There is no one who does not exaggerate. In conversation, men are encumbered with personality, and talk too much."
- "In the woods, we return to reason and faith."
- "Conversation is an art in which a man has all mankind for his competitors, for it is that which all are practising every day while they live."
Ralph Waldo Emerson Quotes 31 - 40
- "There was never a child so lovely but his mother was glad to get him to sleep."
- "The hero is a mind of such balance that no disturbances can shake his will, but pleasantly, and, as it were, merrily, he advancesto his own music, alike in frightful alarms and in the tipsy mirth of universal dissoluteness."
- "The earth laughs in flowers."
- "I know of no such unquestionable badge and ensign of a sovereign mind as that of tenacity of purpose..."
- "A friend is a person with whom I may be sincere. Before him I may think aloud."
- "The first wealth is health."
- "All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better."
- "Some books leave us free and some books make us free."
- "Fear defeats more people than any other thing in the world."
- "To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment."
Can you think of any other sayings by Ralph Waldo Emerson that should definitely be included here? Then always come up with your ideas in the comments!
Use these quotes by Ralph Waldo Emerson as personal inspiration
In my opinion, the wisdom of Ralph Waldo Emerson all stand for strength of character and not least for Humanity. I hope that I could carry you away a little bit with this collection of sayings.
Here I would like to you now finally still further articles that fit Emerson's worldview and can also help you personally:
- Environmental protection with children - it's that simple
- Why you should read books more often
- Become more determined - tips for more willpower
Do you know of any other Ralph Waldo Emerson quotes I should include here? Or do you have questions about the blog article? Then I look forward to hearing from you in the comments.