What is me-time - and why should you consciously take more time for yourself? If you're looking for answers to these questions, you've come to the right place!
Time is a universal and incredibly valuable commodity that is available to all people equally and in limited quantities. That's why our quality of life is not determined by the number of cars, houses, watches and boats we own, but by what we do with the time we have.
We often fritter away precious time in front of the TV, for example, or in frantic attempts to please other people. External influences and the stress factors of everyday life unfortunately often cause us to forget ourselves. Consciously setting aside time for yourself can therefore significantly improve your quality of life.
In this article, I'd like to explain the most valuable benefits and reasons for more me-time and show you why it's important to take care of yourself as well. Let's go!
Here you can find a short overview in advance:
- Find rest and relaxation
- Allow self-reflection and promote emotional intelligence
- Gain new perspectives and make more conscious decisions
- Become more creative, innovative and solution-oriented
- Set new goals and realize dreams
- Become more authentic, opinionated and focused
- Strengthen self-confidence and promote independence
- Make new friends and have better relationships
- Discover completely new sides of yourself
- Find meaning in life and live easier
Definition: What is Me-Time?
Me time (translated: I-time) is the Time that a person consciously reserves for themselves to relax, recharge, and fulfill individual needs. In the respective time window, one can fully devote oneself to one's own interests and desires, detached from obligations, work or the expectations of other people.
Having time for oneself does not mean being alone across the board. Rather, it is about Doing things that you really enjoy and do you good - and of course that can be leisure activities with family and friends.
Taking me-time is also not a selfish actThis is because one is not blocking time exclusively for one's own needs, but merely ensuring that the needs of others, as well as one's own, are met equally.
And what is quality time then? This is the time in which one devotes special attention to one's own family, partner, and friends. Me-time also counts as quality time, since it can also be spent with other people.
10 Reasons: Why Should I Take More Time For Myself?
Time devoted to ourselves is by no means wasted! Rather, it serves self-care and is a valuable Investment in your own well-being and a higher quality of life. Getting to grips with the benefits of me-time helps to make you aware of it and value the time you have in your life.
So time is precious! So let's go straight to the reasons why you should take more time for yourself.
1. Find peace and relaxation
Every day we are Exposed to countless stimulithat cause stress. A great The main danger in this regard is social mediathat offer us new content every second.
Me-Time allows you to To distance oneself from such everyday stimuli, but also from challenges and expectations, quiet, relaxing moment to enjoy and focus entirely on yourself. Consciously blocked me-time offers you the ideal opportunity to Reduce stress of everyday life and you mentally regenerate.
When you regularly do the things that fulfill, balance and excite you, you will find inner peace much faster and do something fundamentally important for your long-term health.
Tip: Me-Time also plays a role in the Improvement of the work life balance plays a major role. In the linked article, I explain to you exactly what's behind it and how you can keep your professional and private life in balance.
2. Allow self-reflection and promote emotional intelligence
Those who take me-time therefore come to rest. And precisely this Calmness is what allows you to always question your values and behavior and adjust when necessary.
That's how you learn from mistakes, automatically improve your self-perception and, of course, promote the ability to better perceive, understand and influence not only your own but also other people's feelings.
Tip: How you essential be more convincing to peopleBy the way, I will explain this in a separate article.
3. Gain new perspectives and make more conscious decisions
Often it is external influences that have a significant impact on our actions. If you take time for yourself, you decelerate the fast-paced everyday life and can, so to speak, completely sober look at your life from the outside. This opens up new perspectives for you to make more thoughtful and uninfluenced, truly free decisions.
4. Become more creative, innovative and solution-oriented
In order to develop personally, you need a lot of experiences and adventures - but also something Air to breathe and time to think about it.
Deliberately blocked me-time helps you not only to discover strengths and talents, but also to develop them further. Whatever you do with your time for yourself, use it also to give free rein to your thoughts, to come up with new ideas and to find solutions to problems.
Tip: There are many more ways to get your Encourage creativity. If you like, you can pick up my best tips in the linked blog post.
5. Set new goals and fulfill dreams
Experience has shown that anyone who spends time alone now and then also becomes more aware of their own desires in life - quite simply because they are Time freed up for reflection has. Me-Time gives you the opportunity to become aware of your goals, to make plans, and to Turning dreams into reality. That's one of many important reasons to consciously take it away from you.
6. Become more authentic, more opinionated and more focused
Those who spend time with themselves more often always have wonderful opportunities to develop their own Questioning beliefs, values and convictions, adapting or consolidating them.
Regular me-time makes you a more authentic person who knows what they stand for - and consistently lives by their own values. You'll also foster a focus and concentration, since you know exactly what you want and what is the right thing to do.
7. Strengthen self-confidence and rise independence
If you consciously allow yourself me-time and learn to spend time alone with yourself, you will also lose the possible fear of being alone. The fact that you can satisfy yourself makes you less or not at all dependent on other people. You decide absolutely freely what you do and what you wish for. So you strengthen your self-confidence and become even more self-reliant and independent.
8. Make new friends and have better relationships
Time to yourself can help you do that, better understand what you want from relationships and how to communicate better. These insights can lead you to deeper, more fulfilling relationships with others and help you make new acquaintances.
In addition to self-reflection, your balance, your added Self-confidence and your increased, emotional intelligence open many doors to other people. Good reasons to block out more time for yourself to relax, right?
Tip: Do you often get stuck in conversations with friends or run out of things to talk about? Then ask these questions to get to knowthat elevate any conversation to a new level.
9. Discover completely new sides of yourself
When you take time for yourself, you have full control over what you do with that time. Consciously scheduled me-time therefore offers you the opportunity, get to know yourself better and discover new interests and passions.
So in addition to your inveterate hobbies, try every now and then to on things you have never done before. If you challenge yourself, you will also discover new facets of yourself again and again.
10. Find meaning in life and live easier
Me-Time is an individual time out where you can philosophize about your life, your values and your plans and try new things. This increases the chances of finding a deeper meaning in your life and being fully absorbed in it. The more time you find for yourself, the more independent you will become and the more live lighter you.
Ideas: What Can I Do For Myself During Me-Time?
Motivated enough to block out more time for yourself? That's great! So far, I haven't really talked about how you can use your me-time in practice. I'd like to change that at this point in the article and give you a few inspiring suggestions for a meaningful use of your time.
You will quickly notice that the Of course, there are no limits to your creativity when it comes to organizing your me-time are.
Here are some Ideas for a fulfilling time with and for yourself:
- In the hammock a good Read book
- Go for a walk, Bicycle ride or
- Go to the forest and Forest bathing
- Meditate or do yoga in nature
- Learn to play a musical instrument or listen to music
- Start painting or drawing
- One DIY dining table build from old oak planks
- Complete fitness programs with your own body weight
- Introduce a weekly wellness day
- A learn new language and use on the next vacation
- Picnic with friends in the park or at the lake
- Try new, vegan recipes or cook with friends
- Keep a gratitude journal (is available here*)
- Enjoy birds chirping from the hammock
- One Create sustainable garden
- Seek a creative hobby (e.g., knitting, writing, pottery, or photography).
These are just a few of countless ideas from my personal experience. How to fill your me-time effectively and recreationally, hig depends, of course, mainly on your individual interests and dreams.
Tips: How Do I Find More Time For Myself?
Whatever you want to do in your me-time, you now have plenty of motivation and inspiration. What's still missing is the time itself. Do you sometimes have the feeling that everyday life is crammed with tasks and deadlines and there is simply no time left for the beautiful things in life?
Fortunately, just a few small changes in your mind and in your daily routine can make a difference. Remedy the situation!
Small changes, huge time savings!
Here are a few tips that you can use to experience quite simply gain quite a lot of timethat you can put to good use:
- Prioritize your "me-time." Value your me-time at least as much as any other important appointment on your calendar. Schedule it firmly and stick to it. The regular entry in the calendar provides the necessary commitment.
- Set boundaries: For more me-time, you have to learn to say "no" when you are already busy. Set yourself clear limits, which you also communicate to other people, in order to always find enough time for yourself in addition to all your obligations.
- Use rest periods: Even those with busy schedules can find time in the morning when they are undisturbed. Just get up regularly an hour earlier than usual and build a Morning Routine that brings you closer to yourself.
- Identify time thieves: The TV and the smartphone are popular, entertaining time wasters. Is that also the case for you? Then try to target your Reduce screen time, a possible Combat cell phone addiction and to use the (often mass) time gained for beautiful and relaxing things.
- Start small: Just a few minutes of me-time a day can make a real restorative difference. For example, take a scheduled walk every lunch break or take 10 minutes to journal before bed. As the weeks and months go by, you should allow yourself more and more me-time.
Take Your Me Time Mindfully And Enjoy The Benefits
More reflective, authentic and become more relaxedYou now know why it's important to do something good for yourself on a regular basis. You've also learned how to gain more me-time and how to use it as wisely and effectively as possible.
"It is not that we have a short time to live, but that we waste a lot of it."Lucius Annaeus Seneca (more at Time quotes)
I really hope that with this blog article I could make you understand why it is important to value your own time.
Do you have any questions, suggestions or do you know of any other good reasons to set aside time for yourself on a regular basis? Then I look forward to your comment!
Stay healthy and balanced,
PS: In moments when you're all to yourself, do you sometimes have a certain fear of missing out? How you can use the so-called Fight FOMO I'll explain how you can do that next in the linked blog post.