Looking for rousing courage quotes and sayings about courage, heroes and bravery? Then you are absolutely right here! Who wants to change the world positively, save lives and fight injustice, must be brave, fearless and courageous - and dare to go new ways. Sometimes, however, situations seem hopeless or risky, so that one would prefer to resign. But it is precisely in such moments that people are needed who are courageous and go ahead - instead of being cowardly and fearful!
For this reason, I would like to share with you my favorite quotes about courage, heroism, bravery, moral courage, backbone, fearlessness and many other similar human virtues!
My please: Keep in mind that many of the quotes about courage have been translated into English from other languages. I cannot guarantee that it is the original quote in each case. Therefore, double check them before you share them. If you like and share any of the quotes in the internet, please link this elaborately created collection. Thank you for your support!
The Best Quotes And Sayings About Heroism, Bravery And Courage
Cowardice, fear and anxiety rule them. They prefer to leave things as they are instead of making the changes they want to see. They prefer the path of least resistance, even if they themselves are actually complaining about a grievance in our society. Do you know people like that? "I alone can not change anything anyway"is one such saying, for example, by which you can recognize them. If all people thought like that, we would still be living under an autocrat, it would be perfectly normal to keep slaves, and women would still not be allowed to vote.
Whatever you want to move in this world: use the following quotes that give courage! For yourself - and to inspire other people to show courage. Have fun!
Courage Quotes 1 - 10
- "It often takes more courage to change one's mind than to remain true to it." (Friedrich Hebbel)
- "Courage is at the beginning of an action, happiness at the end." (Democritus)
- "No one knows what he can do until he tries." (Publilius Syrus)
- "The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." (Nelson Mandela)
- "He who says patience, says courage, endurance, strength." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." (Henry Ford)
- "Have courage to use your own reason." (Immanuel Kant)
- "In this life, anyone who doesn't give up is brave." (Paul McCartney)
- "The hero is a mind of such balance that no disturbances can shake his will, but pleasantly, and, as it were, merrily, he advancesto his own music, alike in frightful alarms and in the tipsy mirth of universal dissoluteness." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- "The happiness of life is not to have few or no difficulties, but to overcome them all victoriously and gloriously." (Carl Hilty)
Courage Quotes 11 - 20
- "A coward’s courage is in his tongue." (Edmund Burke)
- "You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." (André Gide)
- "He who knows his goal will find the way." (Laozi)
- "Only one principle will give you courage, that is the principle that no evil lasts forever nor indeed for very long." (Epicurus of Samos)
- "To me, civil courage is the only acceptable form of heroism." (Harald Schmid)
- "The ability to say the word 'no' is the first step towards freedom." (Nicolas Chamfort)
- "There is so much coldness because we do not dare to be as cordial as we are." (Albert Schweitzer)
- "You can and may well risk your own life for a cause, but never the life of another." (Karl Raimund Popper)
- "It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that things are difficult." (Lucius Annaeus Seneca)
- "If two people always share the same opinion, both have no value." (Konrad Adenauer)
Courage Quotes 21 - 30
- "You can usually do a lot more than you commonly have confidence for." (Aenne Burda)
- "Be the change you wish to see in the world." (Mahatma Gandhi)
- "Sincerity is most likely the most daring form of valor." (William Somerset Maugham)
- "Where courage has no tongue, reason remains silent." (Jupp Müller)
- "The secret to happiness is freedom... And the secret to freedom is courage." (Thucydides)
- "The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new." (Socrates)
- "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." (Walt Disney)
- "Faced with what is right, to leave it undone shows a lack of courage." (Confucius)
- "Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear." (Mark Twain)
- "To gain possessions, men are brave; to keep them, they become cowardly." (Hans Lohberger)
Tip: You can also find more rousing sayings under Motivation quotes.
Create a picture with your favorite quote!
You like one of the quotes the most? Then you should turn it into a unique wall poster!
It's that simple:
- Choose a quote
- Type in quote + author
- Choose color and arrangement
- Order and enjoy!
Courage Quotes 31 - 40
- "Courage of the weak, gentleness of the strong – both adorable." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway." (John Wayne)
- "I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." (Nelson Mandela)
- "Perfect courage is to do without witnesses what one would be capable of doing with the world looking on." (François de La Rochefoucauld)
- "Courage is like an umbrella. When you need it most, you don't have it." (Fernandel)
- "A path is made by walking on it." (Franz Kafka)
- "What would life be if we had no courage to attempt anything?" (Vincent van Gogh)
- "Crisis are life's offers to change. You don't even have to know what's supposed to be new. You just have to be willing and confident." (Luise Rinser)
- "Courage consists not in blindly overlooking danger, but in seeing it, and conquering it." (Jean Paul)
- "He who is timid easily gets a blow; he who is brave is avoided." (Theodor Fontane)
Courage Quotes 41 - 50
- "Who dares nothing, need hope for nothing." (Friedrich Schiller)
- "The ignorant has courage, the knowledgeable has fear." (Alberto Moravia)
- "Falling is neither dangerous nor a shame. Staying down is both." (Konrad Adenauer)
- "Even the bravest only rarely have courage for what they really know." (Friedrich Nietzsche)
- "Courage rises with opportunity." (William Shakespeare)
- "You are braver than you believe, smarter than you seem, and stronger than you think." (Alan Alexander Milne)
- "Between pride and humility there is a third to which life belongs, and that is courage." (Theodor Fontane)
- "Brave is not he who knows no fear; brave is he who knows the fear and overcomes it." (Khalil Gibran)
- "Persistence, persistence, and persistence. The Power can be created and maintained through daily practice – continuous effort." (Bruce Lee)
- "Courage is good, but perseverance is better." (Theodor Fontane)
Courage Quotes 51 - 60
- "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." (T. S. Eliot)
- "Getting ahead in a difficult profession requires avid faith in yourself. That is why some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent." (Sophia Loren)
- "There are times when to be reasonable is to be cowardly." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "A hero is a man who is afraid to run away." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- "In the matter of courage we all have our limits. there never was a hero who did not have his bounds." (Mark Twain)
- "Never apologize for being yourself." (Paulo Coelho)
- "A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it." (Henry Ford)
- "Our doubts are traitors, And make us lose the good we oft might win, By fearing to attempt." (William Shakespeare)
- "The future has many names: For the weak, it means the unattainable. For the fearful, it means the unknown. For the courageous, it means opportunity." (Victor Hugo)
- "People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest." (Hermann Hesse)
Courage Quotes 61 - 70
- "The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do." (Walter Bagehot)
- "On courage hangs success." (Theodor Fontane)
- "Courage is virtue which champions the cause of right." (Marcus Tullius Cicero)
- "The world changes by your example, not by your opinion." (Paulo Coelho)
- "If only no one was afraid to say what the matter is, all things would go better." (Johann Gottfried Seume)
- "Let's be realistic, we will try the impossible!" (Che Guevara)
- "It takes less courage to be the sole reprover than the sole praiser." (Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach)
- "There are cases in which the greatest daring is the greatest wisdom." (Carl Philipp Gottfried von Clausewitz)
- "Courage always grows with the heart and the heart with every good deed." (Adolph Kolping)
- "The actions of a fearful man, like those of a genius, are beyond all calculation." (Heinrich Heine)
Courage Quotes 71 - 80
- "Victories and defeats form part of everyone's life - everyone, that is, except cowards, as you call them, because they never lose or win." (Paulo Coelho)
- "If thou art a man, admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail." (Lucius Annaeus Seneca)
- "Wherever you go, go with all your heart." (Confucius)
- "Where would we get if everyone said where would we get and no one went,to have a look, where you would get, if you went." (Kurt Marti)
- "A hero is a man who does what he can." (Romain Rolland)
- "It is easy to be brave from a safe distance." (Aesop)
- "He who is brave is also patient." (Thomas Aquinas)
- "It takes a lot of courage and strength to believe in the impossible and strive towards achieving that." (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
- "To achieve great success, something must be dared." (Helmuth Count von Moltke)
- "He who dares to think for himself will act himself." (Bettina von Arnim)
Tip: Also under Habits Quotes you will find more sayings about the courage to change.
Courage Quotes 81 - 90
- "Where civic courage isn't home, freedom does not reach far." (Willy Brandt)
- "Coward: One who, in a perilous emergency, thinks with his legs." (Ambrose Bierce)
- "A pound of pluck is worth a ton of luck." (James Abram Garfield)
- "A great part of courage is the courage of having done the thing before." (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
- "Happy are those who dare courageously to defend what they love." (Ovid)
- "With courage and intrepidity, one achieves great ends with small means." (Heinrich Friedrich Karl vom und zum Stein)
- "Everywhere man blames nature and fate yet his fate is mostly but the echo of his character and passion, his mistakes and his weaknesses." (Democritus)
- "A timid person is frightened before a danger, a coward during the time, and a courageous person afterward." (Jean Paul)
- "Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgement that something else is more important than fear." (Ambrose Redmoon)
- "You just have to have courage, because strength without confidence is useless." (Giacomo Casanova)
Courage Quotes 91 - 96
- "He who stops making mistakes, stops learning." (Theodor Fontane)
- "The purest form of insanity is to leave everything as it is and hope that something will change." (Albert Einstein)
- "All happiness depends on courage and work." (Honoré de Balzac)
- "Do what you feel in your heart to be right — for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." (Eleanor Roosevelt)
- "Every human being is a clown but only few have the courage to show it." (Charlie Rivel)
- "Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved." (William Jennings Bryan)
Can you think of any other sayings and quotes about courage, bravery, fearlessness and heroism? Then always come up with your favorite sayings in the comments!
What is meant by courage?
Courage means fearlessness and describes the ability and willingness to overcome one's fears even in risky or difficult moments in order to stand up for something one believes to be right.
How does courageous behavior affect me and others?
Doing the right thing in a risky, difficult situation despite inner resistance increases your self-confidence and the likelihood that you will continue to act courageously and boldly in the future. Other people will be grateful to you for helping them in an uncertain situation.
Where does moral courage begin?
Civil courage is the courage to stand up for human and democratic values in public, courageously and unafraid, and to help other people. It starts on a small scale - for example, defending someone who is being bullied.
Quotes About Courage, Courage And Bravery Use In Everyday Life
From my own experience, I can tell you that it is extremely important to be courageous if you want to change something. Because as soon as you do something differently than the masses of our society, you also have to be prepared for the headwind. Whether you want to eliminate a grievance in our society - or whether you want to save the life of a person or an animal in a certain situation: you need courage and courage in any case.
Here are some further articlesthat will give you the courage to go ahead and make a positive change:
Do you have any questions or can you think of any other inspiring courage quotes? As always, feel free to drop me a line below this post.